All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Yesterday
  3. Hi @Mikael Kalms, the issue should be already fixed in your dashboard. Regards, Carlos.
  4. Last week
  5. You are right! The check should be in bar.c, not foo.c Hey! Thanks for reading and sharing. Send me an email to pablo@plasticscm.com and I'll send you a printed copy once we finally go for print (still fixing a few bugs). Also, I'm so glad to find you are reading it :P. How much did you like it so far?
  6. There is another option: yes, you can create top level branches: To achieve what you want (although, it is more a naming convention than anything else, since the branch will still start from a given point). But then both projects will live in the same repo (which is not such a big issue anyway). I wouldn't go for Xlinks to achieve what you want. Does it help?
  7. Hi, You should write a blogpost once you figure out the solution 🙂 Coincidentally, I wrote something similar for a customer yesterday. Similar, not exactly the same. You can create an empty branch, then push this empty branch to a second repo. And continue devel from there. You'll be able to access most of the history (not the individual branches, though, since you are not replicating them). And you'd be able to push/pull changes if needed. But, I'm sorry, your desired "changeset 3000" wouldn't be there because cset number would go back to zero. Honestly, cset numbers are not so important these days for many now that GUIDs and SHA are there.
  8. Is the diagram at the bottom of page 232 of The Plastic SCM Book (plasticscm-book.pdf) correct? It looks to me that if the plastic.wktree (on the right) lists src/bar.c, then the bar.c box should be checked in the middle diagram and not the foo.c box. Or am I missing something?
  9. Because of the one-to-many relationship of a code review to its associated comments, it might be a good idea to make "review_comment" (or something similar) its own object type with review_id acting like a foreign key. Then it could be queried like: cm find review_comment where review_id = 5555555 Which would then return each associated comments of that review. Obviously wouldn't have to be exactly that, but hopefully my intent makes sense. What would be the proper channel to make this feature request?
  10. Hi, Making a bit longer the left panel, the GUI seems to be at least usable. Could check if it helps? Regards, Carlos.
  11. Could you let us some more details of your workflow? Do you have multiple developers working on the same branch? I guess you are using Plastic GUI instead of Gluon? Regards, Carlos.
  12. Hi, I'm afraid the update-merge operation is not available if using cloaked rules: "Update-merge" is described as follows: If changes in the range [12-16] do not collide with the changes the developer made based on "11", then Plastic is able to do the following: it will download the new changes (not setting them as checked-out) and will effectively make the "checkouts on the workspace" depend on cset "16" instead of "11": It is important to highlight that this will only happen if the changes in [12-16] DO NOT collide with the changes the developer made based on "11", otherwise a regular merge will be launched. Now: there's a caveat to this behavior -> we do not let the update-merge run if there are cloaked rules in the workspace. We added a stronger restriction on release BL578. So, from BL578 update-merge doesn't work if there are cloaked rules in the workspace. Regards, Carlos.
  13. Hi, Plastic doesn't have specific pluginfor this tool but it will track all your changes thanks to the transparent scm feature: https://www.plasticscm.com/features/transparent-scm Plastic SCM detects all the actions you did and displays them together so you can quickly check them in and get back to coding. If you are working with binary files, we recommend you to follow the lock (exclusive checkout workflow) and using Gluon. This way, you will avoid conflicts with files that are not mergeable and you will keep the workflow very simple (Gluon is a very easy to use tool). https://www.plasticscm.com/gluon You can book a free training session with us in the following link to give you some more workflow recommendations and help you with the setup: https://calendly.com/codicesupport/60min Regards, Carlos.
  14. Yes, I'm afraid at the moment "comment "is not available in the format field. We could include it as a feature request. Regards, Carlos.
  15. I have a sort of advanced scenario regarding 'continuation of repositories' and I'm looking for a reasonable strategy. I have a repository for a product, version 1, with the latest changeset number, say, 2000. I am going to start development of a new version 2 of the same product. A portion (like 50 %) of the source code from version 1 will be reused and largely refactored. However, version 2 will be primarily a green-field development with a completely new architecture (from the C# source code perspective, different structure of the solution, layering, decomposition into projects, etc.). It makes no sense to start with the existing codebase at changeset 2000, and start changing it from changeset 2001. On the other hand, there is continuity, version 1 will have to be maintained (more changesets to come) and for the the reused portion of code versioning history is desirable. Normally, I'd start a new repository and go from changeset 1. However, that provides no link to the old (but reused) code, no versioning history, and no changeset number continuity. Is there any to solve this in Plastic? Something like Create a top-level branch in the original repository, which would be somehow forced to be empty at first. Start version 2 development there, and then selectively merge the reused files. Not sure if there's a way to create a new top-level but empty branch? Start a new repository and use xlinks to bring in the original code to be reused. Not sure if xlinked content can be modified and become a local copy, having the original xlink for version history only? In case of the new repository, it there an option to force it starting from a given revision number, e.g. 3000?
  16. Hi, We've finally updated to a newer version with the web admin, and would like to make use of it. We have things like Trac and Jenkins running on this server also. Each one of these, as with Plastic, has their own inbuilt web server, so instead of having a myriad of ports open we instead use IIS to front them all and rewrite the URLs. This works fine for both Trac and Jenkins, as they have options that let you specify exactly what the external URL of the system looks like. I've not found a similar option for Plastic however, so when we attempt to access the box via, eg http://our.server/plastic, it successfully responds with the 302 to take us to the login page, but because it's unaware that it was not the root of the website, that 302 sends us to http://our.server/account. Similarly if I attempt to directly open http://our.server/plastic/account, the page doesn't render properly as all the other resources requested after the initial page load are all requested from the root of the website, rather than relative to the page. I could probably fix this with further rules in IIS to modify the responses to take this into account, but I'm wondering if there's a simple option I'm overlooking that would let me just put in the root url into the config somewhere, in the same way other tools can. I've tried modifying the "override host name" option on the Network configuration in web admin, but it doesn't appear to apply to this. Cheers, James
  17. We have different merge behaviour when using a cloaked.conf file. Normally when submitting changes with no conflicts the merge is automatic and works great. When using a cloaked.conf we always get a manual merge dialog even when there isn't any conflicting files, we also end up with a fat branch. Why is this happening? what is the fix? Thanks, Steven
  18. I am interested in using Plastic SCM for revision control within our organization. I have been reading up on documentation regarding how Plastic will work but have some questions about best practices regarding binary files. What is the best way to implement Plastic SCM for users working with binary files handled by CAD tools such as Solidworks or Altium?
  19. If not moving the ".plastic" folder, you are not actually moving the workspace but creating a new one on a different location. But as you are moving the workspace content, it won't need to be downloaded again (only the workspace metadata is recreated in the new path). The proper way to move a workspace is via command (not manually). cm cwk --help But the user reported a problem with this command so we were trying to find a workaround. Regards, Carlos.
  20. Great! Thanks for the update. From the server web admin panel so you should be able to reset the repository server owner so you can recover if deny the permissions to ALL_USERS by mistake. Regards, Carlos.
  21. If some reverts a file it only shows the CL number in bold that it's been reverted to in the file history. This is confusing and it should dhow the CL number as the operation does have a CL which you can see in the branch view. This makes it difficult to look through the history and see someone has done a reversion. It is also not entirely obvious that the reversion is going to stick when merged in from another branch. The same can be said for a subtractive merge. We have just had a case where so changes were being reverted when merging from main and we couldn't understand why. It turns out that someone had done an accidental subtractive merge in another branch and subbed it to main. When looking in the file in questions history that operation wasn't visible so it was really hard to track. Please can subtractive merges and revertions be listed with a CL number just like any other operation to make tracking down this sort of thing easier. Thanks, Stephen.
  22. Hi. I tried this, too, but now I am getting the error "Workspace info cannot be null" when I open the workspace in plastic UI 7.0.16.2277 (Saxon). How can I solve this? Update: I just found another info in this forum which outlines just the opposite approach (don't move the .plastic folder) Which guideline is correct and failsafe? Regards Frank
  23. I run my Ubuntu screen at 200% because its a very hidpi screen. The plastic dialogs dont lay out properly in this mode. Example attached.
  24. Earlier
  25. Nice. I never had an occasion to create a subrepo, that makes sense. Thanks! Regarding Jet...it sounds great for speed but I like the transparency and accessibility of SQL Server (being able to use TSQL). I've had minor issues in the past (regarding dangling workspaces when clients were removed without removing their workspaces) where directly modifying the data for a workspace in the SQL table fixed the problem (this was a few years ago). Not having the ability to query/modify Jet data could be an issue. At least with SQL I know that I have an extra layer of visibility into the underling storage system so that if anything goes wrong (corruption for example) and I don't have a recent enough backup for some reason (or a backup wouldn't help, like in my above problem) then I still can potentially fix the issue. The completely closed nature of Jet keeps me relying on my trusted SQL server. Do you have Jet tools (even command line would be fine) that allow for query/update capability if needed? Or do you publish the Jet structure/standard anywhere?
  26. Good day, I removed all permissions on one of my main branches by... stupidity. Including VIEW. On ALL USERS. This creates major problems in our project and I am at a loss on how to revert this. Is there any way to impose a high-level override on a repo in order to re-enable view on said branch? Thank you very much for the help. Edit: Found the solution. Made myself the owner instead of "ALL USERS" and then I could see the branch and reset the permissions. OUF.
  1. Load more activity