SVN Import

ismell

Hello

I got plastic setup using LDAP, and I'm trying to import an svn project. the svn server is running version 1.5.1 and the svn bin on my client machine is 1.5.2. I enter the svn date and push test and it connects just fine. When I go to do the actual import it gets stuck on the "User Verification" step. I've let it sit there for over 30min and its not going past this.

Anything I might have missed ?

Thanks

I am not sure if this is the same as your problem, but I have experienced some issues with other users when doing user verification that is license related. The eval license key is limited to 5 users and so if your SVN system contains more then 5 you will get stuck at the user verification step. If you need a temporary license key with a lot of users just contact us and we will generate a new eval key with enough users to handle the import for you.

• 4 months later...
I am not sure if this is the same as your problem' date=' but I have experienced some issues with other users when doing user verification that is license related. The eval license key is limited to 5 users and so if your SVN system contains more then 5 you will get stuck at the user verification step. If you need a temporary license key with a lot of users just contact us and we will generate a new eval key with enough users to handle the import for you.[/quote']

I am not sure if this is the same as your problem' date=' but I have experienced some issues with other users when doing user verification that is license related. The eval license key is limited to 5 users and so if your SVN system contains more then 5 you will get stuck at the user verification step. If you need a temporary license key with a lot of users just contact us and we will generate a new eval key with enough users to handle the import for you.[/quote']

• 2 months later...

I'm also trying to do an SVN import. Test Connection reports that it was successful and I can see that all my changesets are being imported. My problem is that after the import process finishes successfully the workspace folder doesn't contain any data! Is there another step that I have to execute after I perform the import?

I also have an SVN server running on the same machine. Is it possible that Plastic SCM server is conflicting with the SVN server?

The repository (.fdb) file in the PlasticSCM\Server folder doesn't seem to contain any data (it's around 1MB) while the SVN data I'm importing is approx. 50MB.

Thanks,

Patrick

Some more details about my system. Plastic SCM Pro 2.7.127.15 is running on Windows XP Pro SP3 machine. I have 2 different svn servers running on 2 different machines. One is ver 1.6.0 and the other is ver 1.4.4. Plastic SCM connects to both svn servers successfully and the import wizard finishes without any problems in both cases. Unfortunately I don't get any data in my workspace with any of the svn server versions.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I guess is not going to be that easy but:

- Did you "update" your workspace folder? I mean, once the code is imported, it's located on the correct branches on Plastic, but just after that you've to go to your workspace and update it, since it doesn't happen automatically (update is like svn co, keep it in mind)

Please let me know if it works.

pablo

I'm also trying to do an SVN import. Test Connection reports that it was successful and I can see that all my changesets are being imported. My problem is that after the import process finishes successfully the workspace folder doesn't contain any data! Is there another step that I have to execute after I perform the import?

I also have an SVN server running on the same machine. Is it possible that Plastic SCM server is conflicting with the SVN server?

The repository (.fdb) file in the PlasticSCM\Server folder doesn't seem to contain any data (it's around 1MB) while the SVN data I'm importing is approx. 50MB.

Thanks' date='

Patrick[/quote']

Thanks' date='

Patrick[/quote']

The SVN and Plastic server shouldn't conflict since they normally run on different ports and use totally different protocols. I mean, if they're both up and running (as they are since you can import and so on), then they don't conflict.

Hi Pablo,

thanks for the quick reply. Yes I already tried doing an 'update' to the workspace to populate the data from the repository but it doesn't work. I think the fact that the repository database file (.fdb) doesn't change in size after the import is not a good sign.

Could it have something to do with the user authentication? Currently my machines are all authenticated against an LDAP server and when setting up the Plastic SCM server and client the connection seems to be working fine when clicking on the 'Test Connection' option. I even tried using Plastic SCM users and configuring the Plastic SCM server/client accordingly but the result is always the same, i.e. no data in the repository. Or maybe the SVN repository I'm using is not compatible with this Plastic SCM version?

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Well, it's really strange.

Let's try to figure out what's going on.

1- Does your SVN repo has the standard branches, trunk and tags directories to hold branches? If so, you know you've to specify them in the SVN importer wizard, right?

2- Open Plastic SCM GUI client. Go to branches. How many do you see? Even if you only see one, the connection with the server is working, so auth shouldn't be an issue.

3- Now you're on the branches view. Try the following, click on "advanced" and instead of "find branch" type "find revs" and click "execute". Let me know what you see.

pablo

Hi Pablo,

1. Yes my SVN repo has the standard branches, trunk and tags directories but only trunk has data. The Branches and tags folders are empty.

2. When I go to branches in PlasticSCM I see one /main branch so authentication seems to be working fine. Here's a screenshot:

branches.gif. I'm not able to upload the branches.gif file...

3. When I try 'find revs' in the Query field I get an empty response.

I just tried creating a new SVN repository from scratch and committed a couple of documents to trunk (approx. 32MB) and tried to do the import using the PlasticSCM import wizard once again. Unfortunately the same thing is happening (nothing in the repository). I can see that the wizard is recognising that there is 1 changeset, but then the repository database remains empty. The size of the imported database REP_#.PLASTIC.FDB remains at 1296KB which means that nothing is being imported. At this point I'm totally lost since either I'm not getting it or I'm missing something really obvious.

Patrick

Yes, something weird must be going on here...

Please tell me how many repositories do you have.

Please go to the command line (to your workspace) and give me the answer of:

cm lregrep

then

cm find revs

And send me the output

Also, feel free to contact support@codicesoftware.com, we can probably connect with you using GoToMeeting and solve the issue in seconds.

Hi, I just did a clean Windows XP Pro SP2 install on a virtual machine just to make sure that I don't have any software conflicting with PlasticSCM. The SVN import seems to be recognizing the 10 changesets I have in this SVN repo but then it fails to write the data to the Plastic repo. I'm also clicking on 'Update' in the 'Items' section after doing the SVN import but the workspace remains empty. I can see that the Active Workspace is c:\plastic_work\orders_import.

Here's the output you requested ('default2' is the repo I choose for the SVN import):

C:\plastic_work\orders_import>cm lregrep

default 1 default patrick-c71ed7c:8084

default2 3 default2 patrick-c71ed7c:8084

C:\plastic_work\orders_import>cm find revs

10 07/04/2009 15:33:23 dir 0 Administrator c:\plastic_work\orders_import\#br:/main#0 Root dir

Total: 1

I think I'll take up on your suggestion and write to support@codicesoftware.com. In the meantime thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Cheers,

Patrick

Ok, I see.

What I think it's happening is that your workspace is pointing to repository "default", instead of "default2"

1- click on repositories

2- right-click 'default2'

3- select 'view branches'

4- right click 'main' and select 'switch workspace to this branch'

and let me know if it works...

I'm afraid still nothing.

Yesterday I was looking at the 'import.log.txt' file in C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM\client and feel quite sure that the problem lies with the PlasticSCM importer. As visible in the attached log the importer is locating all the changesets present in my svn repo but then it's generating some errors saying 'not found in disk'. It seems as if I have some kind of path problem.

Is there a list of supported SVN server versions that work with the PlasticSCM import tool?

SVN repository: svn://localhost/orders

PlasticSCM workspace: c:\plastic_work\orders_import

PlasticSCM repository: default2

import.log.txt (sorry for the long post but I'm still unable to attach any files.)

==============

2009-04-08 10:47:28,523 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn in path C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM\client

2009-04-08 10:47:28,539 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn list svn://localhost/orders/trunk in path C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM\client

2009-04-08 10:47:28,757 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn list svn://localhost/orders/branches in path C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM\client

2009-04-08 10:47:28,867 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn list svn://localhost/orders/tags in path C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM\client

2009-04-08 10:47:51,992 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn in path C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM\client

2009-04-08 10:47:51,992 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn list svn://localhost/orders/trunk in path C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM\client

2009-04-08 10:47:52,101 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn list svn://localhost/orders/branches in path C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM\client

2009-04-08 10:47:52,210 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn list svn://localhost/orders/tags in path C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM\client

2009-04-08 10:47:53,148 INFO Serialization - UpdateInfo package size 173 bytes

2009-04-08 10:47:53,164 INFO Serialization - Workspace content package size 185 bytes

2009-04-08 10:47:54,242 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn co --ignore-externals -N svn://localhost/orders c:\plastic_work\orders_import in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:55,460 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn log -v svn://localhost/orders in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:55,570 INFO Importer - LOG RESULT:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

r10 | patrickc | 2007-12-06 15:31:31 +0100 (Thu, 06 Dec 2007) | 1 line

Changed paths:

A /trunk/digikey/Digi-Key_DecOrder.pdf

digi key order

r9 | patrickc | 2007-12-06 15:30:17 +0100 (Thu, 06 Dec 2007) | 1 line

Changed paths:

M /trunk/Component_Order_Dec_07.xlsx

r8 | patrickc | 2007-12-06 12:03:08 +0100 (Thu, 06 Dec 2007) | 1 line

Changed paths:

r7 | patrickc | 2007-12-05 19:21:56 +0100 (Wed, 05 Dec 2007) | 1 line

Changed paths:

r6 | patrickc | 2007-12-04 19:53:12 +0100 (Tue, 04 Dec 2007) | 1 line

Changed paths:

A /trunk/Component_Order_Dec_07.xlsx

r5 | patrickc | 2007-04-12 16:34:45 +0200 (Thu, 12 Apr 2007) | 1 line

Changed paths:

M /trunk/rs/F_Lann_Components_Nicole.xls

update F_Lann_Components_Nicole.xls by checking the received items with those delivered.

r4 | patrickc | 2007-03-23 12:26:39 +0100 (Fri, 23 Mar 2007) | 1 line

Changed paths:

A /trunk/digikey

added digikey folder

r3 | patrickc | 2007-03-23 12:26:01 +0100 (Fri, 23 Mar 2007) | 1 line

Changed paths:

A /trunk/rs/F_Lann_Components.xlsx

A /trunk/rs/F_Lann_Components_Nicole.xls

added f_lann components order

r2 | patrickc | 2007-03-23 12:21:59 +0100 (Fri, 23 Mar 2007) | 1 line

Changed paths:

A /trunk/conrad

A /trunk/conrad/Conrad_Order.xls

A /trunk/conrad/Conrad_Order.xlsx

A /trunk/conrad/conrad_order_extra.pdf

A /trunk/farnell

A /trunk/farnell/Farnell_Digikey_Order.xlsx

A /trunk/rs

added conrad and farnell orders

r1 | svn | 2007-03-23 12:17:35 +0100 (Fri, 23 Mar 2007) | 1 line

Changed paths:

A /branches

A /tags

A /trunk

initial import

2009-04-08 10:47:57,570 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn up --ignore-externals -r 1 c:\plastic_work\orders_import in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:57,789 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn up --ignore-externals -r 2 c:\plastic_work\orders_import in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:58,007 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\conrad, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,007 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\conrad\Conrad_Order.xls, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,007 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\conrad\Conrad_Order.xlsx, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,007 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\conrad\conrad_order_extra.pdf, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,007 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\farnell, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,007 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\farnell\Farnell_Digikey_Order.xlsx, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,007 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\rs, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,007 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn up --ignore-externals -r 3 c:\plastic_work\orders_import in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:58,226 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\rs\F_Lann_Components.xlsx, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,226 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\rs\F_Lann_Components_Nicole.xls, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,226 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn up --ignore-externals -r 4 c:\plastic_work\orders_import in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:58,445 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\digikey, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,445 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn up --ignore-externals -r 5 c:\plastic_work\orders_import in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:58,664 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\rs\F_Lann_Components_Nicole.xls, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,664 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn up --ignore-externals -r 6 c:\plastic_work\orders_import in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:58,882 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\Component_Order_Dec_07.xlsx, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:58,882 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn up --ignore-externals -r 7 c:\plastic_work\orders_import in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:59,101 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\Component_Order_Dec_07.xlsx, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:59,101 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn up --ignore-externals -r 8 c:\plastic_work\orders_import in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:59,320 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\Component_Order_Dec_07.xlsx, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:59,320 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn up --ignore-externals -r 9 c:\plastic_work\orders_import in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:59,539 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\Component_Order_Dec_07.xlsx, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:47:59,539 INFO Importer - Executing command: svn up --ignore-externals -r 10 c:\plastic_work\orders_import in path c:\plastic_work\orders_import

2009-04-08 10:47:59,757 ERROR Importer - Not found in disk c:\plastic_work\orders_import\trunk\digikey\Digi-Key_DecOrder.pdf, revision data can't be created

2009-04-08 10:48:01,773 INFO Serialization - UpdateInfo package size 173 bytes

2009-04-08 10:48:01,773 INFO Serialization - Workspace content package size 185 bytes

Hello Patrick,

It seems that the parameters are right and the import process starts fine, but the import tool doesn't find the files in disk. It's related with a new behaviour of the checkout operation in the svn 1.5.

I'm sorry but the current version of the import tool isn't compatible with svn 1.5 or greater.

I'm glad to tell you the next release will be compatible with all svn versions.

Regards,

Rub

Could you try to import using a 1.4.6 SVN client?

Otherwise, as Ruben pointed, Plastic 2.8 includes a new (and much, much, much improved and faster) SVN importer, and we expect to be releasing it soon. We'll be publishing previews in the next week or so too.

Hi Ruben, Pablo,

thanks for the info about the svn version. I was busy with some other stuff and didn't yet have the time to perform an SVN import using the 1.4.6 SVN client. I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I have some news.

Thanks again and keep up the good work,

Patrick

Hello again,

I tried installing the svn collabnet 1.4.6 client+server but I'm afraid I'm still experiencing problems. The logs don't show any errors but the repository database file remains at the initial 1296KB. As before the plastic importer sees my svn repo changesets but at the end of the import the plastic repo is empty.

Having no luck with the SVN plastic import tool I tried to see what happens when importing a CVS repository. I installed tortoise cvs installed (1.10.10 which also includes CVSNT 2.5.03) created a cvs repo with a few files and tried to do a CVS plastic import. The import process went through without any problems whatsoever. I didn't even have to click on 'Update' in the Plastic SCM client to see all the data that has just been imported.

I can only come to the conclusion that the SVN import tool still has some bugs which need to be ironed out before it's really useful or maybe it's only compatible with one particular version of svn. I think I'll wait for the next plastic version before doing any further experiments.

Regards,

Patrick

Hi,

Would you mind if we schedule an online meeting with GoToMeeting and check what's wrong with this SVN repo? It could be a problem in the importer, but it will be very good to know exactly what's wrong there.

If so, send us an email to support@codicesoftware.com so we can check what's wrong.

Regards,

pablo

Archived