JakubH

Undo changes x Undo unchanged

Here is another UX issue, which deserves it's own topic, because it is more complex to explain.

There are two operations which sound similarly and are placed close in the GUI (and are probably similar internally), but which are very different in a user point of view: Undo changes and Undo unchanged. The Undo unchanged operation is very harmless and only un-checkouts files which were not changed. As far as I know, the checkout operation is performance hint only, so a user, who wants to use a change – commit paradigm, should never be concerned about that, the Undo unchanged operation could be even performed automatically. On the other side Undo changes is a serious operation, which discards ones changes.
We think that these two operations should be distinguished more clearly. "Discard changes" would be better name for Undo changes and "Un-checkout unchanged" would be also more intuitive in our opinion. We think that these buttons in pending changes view should be separated and the Undo unchanged (Un-checkout unchanged) operation should perform immediately without a confirmation dialog.

The following suggestion (Undo changes in a context menu) would be great too:
http://plasticscm.uservoice.com/forums/15467-general/suggestions/3131460-add-an-undo-pending-changes-option-to-the-contex

You are right, Undo unchanged is an operation for developers who work with checkout-modify-checkin methodology. Using change – commit paradigm, you would only use Undo changes operation.

About the name of the operation and the buttons I think your opinion also makes sense. Maybe we have to review the terminology. Thank you very much for your opinions and suggestions :)

You are right, Undo unchanged is an operation for developers who work with checkout-modify-checkin methodology. Using change – commit paradigm, you would only use Undo changes operation.

That would be true if I have an option to avoid checkout operation completely. But that is not possible, as far as I know. At least when using Visual Studio Integration.

Actually, that is my other suggestion: to optionally turn off a checkout operation completely.