New project, new repository?

I'm quite new to Plastic and finding my way so will probably look to this forum for help in doing that. 

So my question is this; in the free lessons on the Plastic website, the example sets up a new Repository and it is named after the project (something like Dokan). Does this mean that it is good practice to create a new Repository for each project? e.g. I have many clients/websites - should each client site/project have its own Repository or can I create one Repository and just make a separate Workspace for each project?

In Plastic SCM we encourage using separate repositories for different projects and components, and access shared components by “mounting” them in the project repository through Xlinks. Projects often need to reuse existing components that have been developed and are actively used as part of other projects. In our documentation we explain in detail how Xlinks work and why is very interesting in many cases:

http://www.plasticscm.com/releases/4.1/manuals-html/en/xlinksguide.htm#_Toc338926343

Regards,

Carlos

Hi cidico,

If you check xlink help command, you will see some interesting options:   

-rs: relative server. This option allows creating a relative xlink that is
independant of the repository server. This way, xlinks created in
replicated repositories in different servers will be automatically
identified.

-rr: relative repository. This option allows creating a relative xlink to
a different changeset (eventually, in a different branch) in the same
repository.

A small example. Imagine a distributed scenario where there is a remote server with two repositories and you have them replicated to your local server.

rep1@remoteserver:xxxx -------> rep1@localserver:xxxx
rep2@remoteserver:xxxx -------> rep2@localserver:xxxx

Imagine that rep1@remoteserver:xxxx has an xlink pointing to rep2@remoteserver:xxxx
(cm xlink secondrepo / 1@rep2@remoteserver:xxxx).

Then, if you replicate rep1@remoteserver:xxxx to your local server (rep1@localserver:xxxx), the xlink will be pointing to the rep2@remoteserver:xxxx and not to your local server (rep2@localserver:xxxx).

But if when creating the xlink you use the -rs option (cm xlink -rs secondrepo / 1@rep2@remoteserver:xxxx), then whenever you replicate, your rep1@localserver:xxxx will be pointing to yourrep2@localserver:xxxx and not to the remote one.

I hope it's a little clearer now. You can check also Chapter 4 of xlinks documentation (relative links)

http://www.plasticscm.com/releases/4.1/manuals-html/en/xlinksguide.htm#_Toc338926356

Regards,

Carlos 

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Can you give more details of your scenario?

As I said before, In Plastic SCM we encourage using separate repositories for different projects and components, and access shared components by “mounting” them in the project repository through Xlinks. 

Regards,

Carlos

Archived