Problem connecting to MS SQL Server

sanan

Hi,

We are in process of evaluating different SCM tools in our company. And, PlasticSCM is one of them. Yesterday I had downloaded PlasticSCM and installed it on our Windows 2008 server. 

The setup details are as follows:

server: Windows 2008 R2 x64 Service Pack 1

CPU: 8 Core 3.00 GHz Intel Xeon ®

Memory: 6 GB RAM

Database: Microsoft SQL Server

User authentication: LDAP with Active Directory.

The server installation was successful as there was no error reported. The "test connection" buttons on SQL server configuration and LDAP configuration dialogue boxes were successful also. 

The client configuration also yielded no error message. I assume it went fine also.

Now, when I try to start Plastic SCM tool. It gives following error message:

"

--------------------------

Error
---------------------------
Plastic SCM server DKAARTSWCM02:8087 wasn't able to open a connection to the database. Check the server log (plastic.server.log). Error: Cannot open database "repositories" requested by the login. The login failed.

Login failed for user 'cqadmin'. Plastic client can't continue and will be closed.
OK   
"

Can someone please tell me what am I doing wrong?

my db.conf file is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <ProviderName>sqlserver</ProviderName>
  <ConnectionString>Server=dkaarcqdb01;User Id=cqadmin;Pwd=|SoC|Cgp/F8fe/5Vjbanxd2ucsA==;DATABASE={0};</ConnectionString>
  <DatabasePath />
  <DatabaseSuffix />
  <DatabasePrefix />
</DbConfig>

So in nutshell, I have not been able to start PlasticSCM though it shows as running in the Windows services.

I am attaching the plastic.server.log file with this post. I have renamed it to log.txt because I was not able to attach it with its original name.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Sandeep

log.txt

Hi Sanan!

although the service is started and listening the connection with the Sql Server can't be established.

The server log is telling us that the user "cqadmin" is not able to do login into the SQL Server system.

1) Check that the password is fine.

2) Try with a non encryped password (just to try if it makes the difference)

3) Try to specify a higher sql user.

Hi manu,

now my db.conf file looks like this.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <ProviderName>sqlserver</ProviderName>
  <ConnectionString>Server=dkaarcqdb01;User Id=cqadmin;Pwd=cqadmin;DATABASE={0};</ConnectionString>
  <DatabasePath />
  <DatabaseSuffix />
  <DatabasePrefix />
</DbConfig>

I have changed the password parameter with actual password. it still fails.
As I mentioned earlier, we have configured LDAP settings. Do you think it has to do anything with that. the cqadmin id that I have mentioned is not in LDAP but i have created it in SQL server.

Hi Sanan,

the Admin tool and the LDAP have nothing to do here.

All is about the SQL server and the user you are trying to use, it must be a SQL Server user, so:

1) Are you able to login with that user in the SQL Server management tool?

2) Are the external connections allowed in the SQL Server?

3) Is the server on the same machine as the Plastic SCM server? If they are on the same machine please change "Server=dkaarcqdb01;" to "Server=localhost;"

Hi Manu,

the sql server is on a different machine and I am sure that it is working fine because it is our production database server and all our databases are created there like for clearquest.

sql server is located on dkaarcqdb01

plasticscm is installed on dkaartswcm02

we have got a specific server to test plasticsm.

cqadmin is an id which I have created in sql server and usually use it for connecting to any database from client tools . and, normaly when I create any database, i transfer the ownership of that to this id. But this time as plasticscm did not ask me so I have not created any database in advance. I thought plasticscm should create it by itself during installation or so. correct me if am wrong in this understanding.

Also, I want to tell you that the id which I use to login (like remote desktop) into the machine on which sql server is installed is a different id. that is an LDAP id i.e. VESTAS\ccadmin. And, when ever I start SQL server management tool on that machine it uses this id to connect to the sqlserver. As a matter of fact, during installation of plasticscm when I reached sql server configuration step, I initially used this LDAP id to connect, but "test the connection" failed to i resorted to "cqadmin" and fortunately it succeeded. But i dont know why I am not able to start plasticscm client if installation shows successfull.

over to you.

Tak,

Sandeep

Hi!

Is it possible to arrange a fast online meeting in order to debug the scenario?

I would like to know why it's not stabilising the connection.

If it possible please tell me when are you available and your time zone. I'm available next Monday.

One quick question, does the SQL server user have permission for creating databases?

Please in the db.conf include the following tag:

<DatabasePath>c:\sqldata</DatabasePath>

Replace the path by your sqlserver machine database file path. Where the databases files are stored.

Archived