Visual Studio 2010 crash

flipm0de

I am having consistent crashes on VS 2010. When I open my solution and then show the pending check-ins, they slowly start to load (I have about 4k files in the solution). If I try to add a new class or something to a project which is not checked-out VS tries to check it out and crashes. Then I can restart VS, show all files and add the already created file to the project.

My guess is that it has to do with some internal locking...

P.S. Why is it so slow to update the pending check-ins from VS while the client shows them in just a few seconds?

Hi flipm0de,

Looks like a weird behavior.

How many pending checkins do you have in your solution? Normally it should be very, very fast.

Then, what do you mean by "project which is not checked out"? Do you mean a project file that is not checked out? I guess so. Yes, to add a file it must check out the project file, and yes, it shouldn't crash.

About why is slower finding the pending check-ins: I think SCC (Visual Studio) scans the entire tree while Plastic doesn't do that.

Please answer the questions I sent you, we'll try to do some tests down here too.

Thanks,

pablo

How many pending checkins do you have in your solution? Normally it should be very' date=' very fast.

[/quote']

Desn't matter. Even if I have no pending checkins to refresh about 4K files it takes from 30-60 sec. In the client it happens in about 1 sec.

Then' date=' what do you mean by "project which is not checked out"?

[/quote']

Yes. If the project file (.csproj) is not checked out or the pending checkins are not scanned (by showing the Pending Checkins window and waiting them to finish scanning) adding a file crashes VS 10 out of 10 times. Even when I restart VS and try to include the already created file in the project VS crashes again.

Hi,

We made some tests on Friday with a big project (5k files) in VS2010. First thing we noticed is that just adding the files to the project (no SCC involved) took a looooong time, so I guess VStudio has a good number of issues with such a big projects.

Ok, then we checked the "pending checkins issue". What we've found for a project this size is that VStudio scans the entire project the first time you go to see the "pending checkins". It shows some progress, something like "Updating xxxx file(s) to process...". In our test, it took about 100-120 seconds to complete. After the first "scan" every new request was very fast, took almost nothing to complete. The time is not related to the number of checkouts. If you close and reopen VStudio, it takes again about 100 seconds the first time.

We will take a look and try to check whether we can improve performance. I understand SCC is making a huge amount of calls, the trick is to see whether every single call can be optimized. If so, we'll let you know and we'll simply make it faster.

Ok, now the "add issue". VStudio 2010 took about 6 seconds on our test machine to add a new class, adding to Plastic (checkin + add) was almost immediate. We weren't able to reproduce the crash... Could it be a VS issue?

Thanks,

pablo

Thanks for the quick response.

Hi' date='

Ok, now the "add issue". VStudio 2010 took about 6 seconds on our test machine to add a new class, adding to Plastic (checkin + add) was almost immediate. We weren't able to reproduce the crash... Could it be a VS issue?

[/quote']

It could be a VS issue. VS 2008 did not had the issue AFAIR. It happens on more than one machine with Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit. The most certain way to reproduce it is:

1. Load a big solution without a .csproj file checked out.

2. Don't show the pending checkins window (but have it autohidden so it it present but its contents are not displayed and refreshed by default) so VS doesn't have a clue about checkouts. I also have the branch explorer autohidden to the side.

3. Add a class to the project.

4. Windows displays a message that VS has crashed and is looking for a solution (almost immediately).

Hi there,

I didn't forget about you.

We've been testing the SCC plugin again and again with big projects. We haven't found anything different from what I reported last time.

We'll try to optimize the "find checkouts" operation. Problem seems to be the huge number of requests SCC is doing, which in fact is eating much more time than actually plastic doing its job.

The good news is that we're releasing 3.0.6 next week, and we're including a totally new version control plugin for VS2005 and higher. We've fully tested your scenario with the new plugin and retrieving the checkouts takes an instant (same code as in the GUI). So, stay tuned, I'll announce it on the blog as soon as it's ready.

Thanks,

pablo

• 3 weeks later...

Archived