CPU requiements

Hello!

The client can work almost everywhere, a regular Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz with 2-3 GB RAM or even lower will work.

The server is much more the same, we prefer more RAM than more CPU. A server machine with 4-5GB will do it.

Of course it all depends in the number of developers that are going to use Plastic and the size of the code working copy.

Can you please tell me how many user would use Plastic at your company and how big is the code working copy? It will give me an idea of the requirements.

I've used Plastic in a distributed way with machines with Core 2 Duo and 2Gb of ram without any problems.

At home I use Plastic with an AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.2Ghz with 8Gb of ram and I never saw plastic server process get more than 200Mb of ram (even when doing a lot of sync stuff).

Of course, I never had 300 users checking in and checking out files at the same time! :)

If you're looking for a benchmark you can see it here: http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2013/05/2000-checkins-per-minute-and-counting.html

It's a pretty neat benchmark! (Maybe you guys from Códice could open the test code and configs as open source!)

Hi Adriano,

Look, Plastic SCM client requires a "modern" machine. By modern I'd say it runs even on XP machines with 128Mb RAM (we've some users on configurations like this one) but of course it will perform much better on modern hardware. A good disk with good IO performance is one of the most important requirements. The Plastic SCM Graphical User Interface will require memory depending on your project size. For a 300.000 files project it typically uses up to 200Mb of RAM and could need more. But 300k files is quite a large project. If your is smaller, then you shouldn't have issues.

Regarding the server: it is quite configurable. It can run on a laptop using about 100Mb RAM or it can run on a big corporate server attending 1000 concurrent users and requiring 6GB RAM + the RAM used by the database backend (we strongly recommend SQL Server for high performance).

Regards,

Carlos

Archived