Switch back to v4.1 from v4.2

wvd_vegt

Hi,

Due to experiments with git i switched to the 4.2 branch. But as there are features in v4.1 that i like (and are not available in 4.2 yet, at least not according to the changelogs) I would like to switch back in the near future to a less experimental version.

So question: Will there be a moment in the near future where both versions are consolidated and are upgradable to the same release (like a v4.3 but without using fast-export)?

regards

Hi,

The 4.2 version is an experimental version but I can ensure you that is very stable. Very soon it will be our officially supported version. v4.2 has many improvements, what features are making you think about changing back to 4.1?

Regards,

Carlos

Hi

The last 4.1 version has closable tabs (something that is annoying me a lot). I know it's quite stable because I use it daily (so that is not the problem).

But it seems like sometimes the 4.2 is lagging behind a bit on some GUI issues (where v4.2 contains more new/big/complex functionality like GIT support). And I do not want to stay on an experimental branch forever.

Your answer that it will be the supported version soon is enough for me (I just have to be patient a bit more)!

Regards

Hello,

I would not define the 4.2 release as "Experimental". The same test suite is run for both 4.1 and 4.2 releases so don't be afraid, the 4.2 branch is as stable as the 4.1.

Regarding the new features in 4.1, all of them are integrated in 4.2 :)

For example, the one that allows closing tabs is integrated in 4.1.10.436 and also in 4.2.31.437.

Ans answering your original question :P

In the near future the 4.1 branch will be deprecated and the 4.2 compatibility will be frozen as we did with the 4.1.

And finally, regarding the downgrade to 4.1, I'm afraid that it's not possible, due to the new security model change we can't rollback to the previous release.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Regarding comaptibility:

A 4.1.10.Y release is compatible with all the 4.1.10.X series.

Under a mayor release 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 you need to take a look into the third number, this number is the one that keeps the compatibility under mayor releases.

Of course the mayor releases are not compatible between each other, so a 4.1 can't never talk with a 4.2 or 4.0.

Regards,

Carlos

Archived