Share SQL between 2 plastic servers

Hi

I wanted to know what happens if two plastic servers use the same MS-SQL server.

I want to put the SQL in the cloud and have our two offices have each it's own plastic server (behind a firewall) and both will use the same SQL

Will it work ?

Hi Rami!

The scenario is fully supported BUT you have to choose a prefix of a suffix for one of the 2 instances, or the 2 of them, it's up to you.

The reason is because both Plastic SCM servers will try to create and use the "rep_1.plastic" and "repositories" databases -> bad thing :)

So if you open your "db.conf" file you will be able  to use the followings tags:

ServerA:

<DatabasePrefix>ServerA</DatabasePrefix>

ServerB:

<DatabasePrefix>ServerB</DatabasePrefix>

In this way the ServerA will create the "ServerA.Rep_1.plastic" and ServerA.repositories"  databases and the ServerB will create the "ServerB.Rep_1.plastic" and ServerB.repositories" databases.

That's all.

In this wa

Thanks but what I really want is for the 2 servers to use the SAME tables so I wouldn't have to sync them !

The use case:

2 offices, each with it's own VPN connection

I want users from both locations to use the same repositories

Setting up one plastic+SQL works but connectivity between the sites is not so good so the site without the plastic suffers

I want to put the SQL in the cloud with a firewall policy to allow connections only from the two sites and have each site it's own plastic server

Using the same database for 2 severs is a horrible idea, the system is not prepared for that, the consequences are going to be, for sure, bad.

Why don't you use the same server for both teams and then you create 2 "main" branches? One for each office....

Archived