Separate Workspaces in same Repository

dgplugge

Interesting!

I've been using Plastic SCM for several months now and really appreciate the code organization it provides.  Currently, all of my code projects are in separate repositories with a single workspace.  I use the GUI interface to manage the code as a solo developer.

Today I decided to test out creating a single repository for housing two different project workspaces and one common library.  To simplify things, I created a Test root and three subdirectories:

M:\MyCode\PlasticSCM\Test\TestLibrary

M:\MyCode\PlasticSCM\Test\TestProject1

M:\MyCode\PlasticSCM\Test\TestProject2

One subdirectory for each workspace inside the repository.  Plastic SCM may have out smarted me, as I used a single "Readme.txt" file for each subdirectory.  I created the original, then copied and modified the file inside the two projects.  Plastic SCM appears to have followed the path of the original file as it was reproduced and edited.  The attached screen shot shows the resultant branch explorer.

I also received "evil twin" errors and naming conflicts.

My question, it I want to manage a common library separately from projects utilizing the common library, should I use a separate repository for the common library?  I'd like to use the GUI interface, rather than the command line and I'd like to avoid XLinks.  The reason I want to avoid XLinks is due to the numerous forum posts on XLink problems.  Perhaps the XLinks should still be used?

Thoughts?

dgp

post-6792-0-02275500-1374071970_thumb.png

I removed the workspaces and repository, then create separate repositories and workspaces for each project and library.  That worked just fine.  I even went back to using the XLinks for the Common Library and everything functioned properly.  For those new to Plastic SCM, I'd suggest working a small template of your desired layout before working with your actual project files -- just to get the hang of it.

dgp

Hi @dgplugge,

Yes, you followed the aesiest path, we do recomment separate each project in a different repository, then you can use Xlinks to link the different projects (repositories). If you have more questions to set up your scenario, don´t hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Carlos

Archived