Installing on winXP 64bit sp2 that has SQL Compact or SQL 2008

I'm trying to install on my WinXp 64bit which is very much like the windows 2003 server code-base version (if not the same with few twinks in reg) and has only sp2 version.

the installation prompt me to install xp SP3 because It needs SQL server 4 c.e (which I happen to have on it + sql server 2008..and  also have .NET 2,3,4..web  matrix..vs2010..) but there is no such version for the XP 64bit..

I was wondering if there is any way to bypass this.. if I need to install my server on this machine?

maybe you can send me a version that revoke this check during the installation(because i do have SQL 4.c.e)..without any warranties and i can check this for myself.. and maybe for others in the community..or maybe you can tell me how to install the client and then pin point back to my local servers.. either sql 4 or 2008.. and copying & configuring your svc server if needed
Thanks

Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

yep, you just need to run the installer in this way:

PlasticSCM-4.1.10.465-windows-installer.exe --nocheckrequirements true

I can't remember if it's "--nocheckrequirements true" or "--nocheckrequirements=true" so check both :P

Plastic SCM will be installed and you will need to configure the server to work with MS SQLServer, check this guide: https://www.plasticscm.com/infocenter/technical-articles/kb-how-to-configure-plastic-scm-with-sql-server.aspx

MSSQLServer is a good choice, can I ask you how many developers are going to be using Plastic SCM.

Hey there,

Thanks for the quick and satisfying answer. the first option worked for me.

thanks for the link, I used plastic SCM installation to change the back-end to MS SQLServer. (I had a small issue will testing the connection i was unable to connect .. after checking the system event viewer (application) I figure out that reason that the user I just created failed to connect because the server was set to windows authentication mode only..so I changed that...and everything is working great now..)

I'm very excited about your product. it seems to me you have done a great job in providing innovative and very important features with great methodologies and guidance ..that saves a lot of time and frustration  (plus a good marketing model that enable me and many others to kick start and grow) 

at this moment it is just me using it as I am restarting my start-up..but soon I hope many will fallow me..(: cheers

Thanks Again

• 9 months later...

Hey Mano,

I'm in the middle of installation that went wrong as described and I'm not sure how i should proceed in order to recover my repository and setting.. so I'm waiting for further guidance , any help will be greatly appreciated..thanks !

of course I have overcome this old scenario as written above 6 months ago, but today I tried to install the PlasticScm 5.0.44.563 version(upgrade from 4.1.10.465), I was hoping the installer will maintain my repository ,connections and setting but this is what happened so far..

1 i ran this installer first :  PlasticSCM-5.0.44.563-windows-net4-installer.exe 

(side remark:  b.t.w. it is not clear enough which version of the 2 downloads available for windows should be used(in the download table -dowload page) when- i did read the article..name of files also confusing) - i though i needed this one because I'm running vs2010 on this winXP 64 bit SP2- (my system have .net 4 client profile+Extended+Multi-TargetingPack) so maybe you can check and make there a more clear note..in the download notes. thanks.)

2. the installer was running and telling/asking me to remove the old plasticScm while saving the repository and setting..of-course i answered yes and the removing seemed to happen ok (not complete i think - folders are in place)..

3. i have received an error about trying to update something that is trying to update something with an older file.. (i could see the file name(truncated) maybe this is something related with the dot .net versions ) - i clicked OK and the installation continued..

4. the installer then proceed and stopped again for the same issue that was resolved in this thread by the help of you ..so..since the installer run this check and..prompt me to install XP SP3 because It needs SQL server 4 c.e (which I happen to have on it + sql server 2008..and  also have .NET 2,3,4..web  matrix..vs2010..) but there is no such version for the XP 64bit..) i had NO where to go from this flow and i clicked cancel..(then i remember the issue I had last time.)

5. so I tried to run the other installer with the argument you suggested : "PlasticSCM-5.0.44.563-windows-installer.exe --nocheckrequirements true".. that worked fine but i noticed it didn't mention any thing about importing settings or repository from 4 .. and i got the server config wizard saying now that it use SQL CE (embedded) as the back-end..of-course my repository is acutely in my MSsql2008   :(

..so this is where I stand now.. it is still open and running.. i can either click back, finish or a small link to "change the database backend now"..  so I don't want to proceed and maybe override some config files..maybe you can help me save or recover to the old repo and setup (it still has the plasticScm 4 folders with a files and one called db.conf.old)

please help, tell me if  you need any more details.

Thanks Again.

Daniel

Hi!

Review if the "db.conf.old" file is having the right parameters to connect with SqlServer. If that's the case rename the "db.conf" into "db.conf.backup" and the "db.conf.old" into "db.conf" then restart the Plastic SCM server service.

Open the GUI or issue a "cm lrep" to review if the repositories are back.

We are getting closer :)

Now the server is up and running (and I guess it's using the right databases). You need now to setup the server yo use UP (UserPasswordMode) because your client is configured like that.

In order to avoid recreating the users and groups again you can copy the users.conf and groups.conf files inside the server new installation directory. Then, run the configureserver.exe tool and select UP as your authentication mode. You'll need to restart the service to make the changes effective.

Finally, retry the "cm lrep" command from the client side, hopefully it will work now, if it doesn't work search for error at the last lines of the "plastic.server.log" file you willl find inside the server directory and post them to us.

ok, I did as you told me.. but please forgive my ignorance, what is  "cm lrep" ?

as i start the plastic SCM client it pops with an error of unable to find/open the repository.. "Dash_Repository" (3-4 times)

here is the last 6 lines of the log file:

2014-05-09 12:02:28,640 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at DANMASTER INFO  Operations - Get repository info Dash_Repository
2014-05-09 12:02:28,640 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at DANMASTER ERROR Operations - Plastic server version: 5.0.44.563

2014-05-09 12:02:28,640 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at DANMASTER ERROR Operations - OnError catching exception The specified repository couldn't be found: Dash_Repository.

2014-05-09 12:02:28,640  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at  ERROR Codice.CM.Server.ExceptionTracerSink - Dumping in-transit exception:The specified repository couldn't be found: Dash_Repository.

2014-05-09 12:02:28,640  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at  INFO  ChannelCall - recb:   761|rect:  0|sentb:  1475|sendt:  0|prt:       0|th:   17|dest:   0|mt:       0|sert:   0|zip:   0|        10.0.0.1|GetRepositoryInfo
2014-05-09 12:02:58,859 (null) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at (null) INFO  Channel - conn        5 Tcp transport error. Connection closed

any insight  ?

B.t.w.  million thanks so far !

1 default DANMASTER:8087

and the log added :

2014-05-09 13:38:47,031 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at DANMASTER INFO  Operations - Retrieve repository list

2014-05-09 13:38:47,046  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at  INFO  ChannelCall - recb:   522|rect:  0|sentb:   523|sendt:  0|prt:      15|th:   20|dest:   0|mt:      15|sert:   0|zip:   0|        10.0.0.1|GetRepositoryList

2014-05-09 13:38:47,093 (null) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at (null) INFO  Channel - conn        6 An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Ok so:

1) Server is up and running :)

2) Client and server are using the same auth mode :)

3) Client is able to talk to the server :)

4) Your old databases are not listed :(

Check once again the db.conf file, make sure you are using the same as the old installation and make sure you restart the server after edditing or changing completely the "db.conf" file.

Your server is listing only the default repo created during the first server start-up. One question, your old databases, the ones you can see at the SqlServer management tool are called "rep_1.plastic", "rep_2.plastic".... or they have any prefix or suffix? If they have them you should take into account at the "db.conf" file.

wooow , as crazy as this may sound, i cant find any databases of plastic.. ): showing in the SqlServer management tool views..

could it be that the first installtion process dissconect/remove them in order to move the files to scm 5 folder ?but didnt get to that stage ..?(due to the xp sp3 check that failed aborting..)

I can see that I have 6 different sdf files in the old SCM 4/server folder:

rep_1.plastic.sdf

rep_6.plastic.sdf

+ 

repositories.plastic.sdf

while the SCM 5 has only :

rep_1.plastic.sdf + repositories.plastic.sdf

wooow , as crazy as this may sound, i cant find any databases of plastic.. ): showing in the SqlServer management tool views..

could it be that the first installtion process dissconect/remove them in order to move the files to scm 5 folder ?but didnt get to that stage ..?(due to the xp sp3 check that failed aborting..)

Nop, that's impossible. The installer is not prepared to do that.

I can see that I have 6 different sdf files in the old SCM 4/server folder:

rep_1.plastic.sdf

rep_6.plastic.sdf

+ 

repositories.plastic.sdf

while the SCM 5 has only :

rep_1.plastic.sdf + repositories.plastic.sdf

Seems to me that all this time you have been using SQLServer CE and not the regular SqlServer. Copy and paste *.sdf from the Plastic4\Server directory to Plastic5\Server. Overrride the rep_1 and repositories files (or move them better to another location), then restart the Plastic SCM server and repeat the "cm lrep" command.

Hallelujah..

praise the lord..  manu

Back and a live .. I'm so sorry for misleading unintentionally..I was sure I had this on my SQL server .. the old conf also showed a connection string to that SQL instance.. I guess i moved it and forgot all about it.. I'm really sorry and I really appreciate all your great help..quick response and right to the target..

thanks again and again ..

and praise the lord (darth?) (:

Daniel

oops, hello again, I have a small issue..again :)

as i opened the visual studio with a project that was source controlled by plastic, VS complained about not finding the source control plugin or something like that (I don't exactly remember) but it asked if i want to remove/stop the source control from the solution, I answered "yes" hoping i could reconnect it.. but unfortunately, now, as i go to tools->options->source control->plug-in selection,  and pick the "plastic scm source control" option from the combo box it jumps back immediately to the "none" option.

so what do you think i should do, please?

.. reinstall ? (PlasticSCM-5.0.44.563-windows-installer.exe --nocheckrequirements true) uninstall and re-install ? or something else ?

Thanks,

the trouble maker

ok - solved -

ok, i tried running the uninstaller: I received all kind of errors/msgbox.. all about the Visual studio extension (plasticVSextensibility.dll) ... i think i have recived an error or two like this during the plasticSCM 5 installation.. so here are the errors..

1. error running e:\program Files\PlasticSCM5/client/tools/regpkg.exe /unregister "E:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5/client/plasticVSextensibility.dll" : regpkg : error : Could not load file or assembly 'file:///E:\Program Files\PlastcSCM5\client\plasticVSextensibility.dll" or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded.

after uninstalling and reinstalling the right version (the other download version : PlasticSCM-5.0.44.563-windows-net4-installer.exe ) every thing went well..

Archived