Setting Up Plastic with PB12

Hello Everyone,

We just upgraded to PB12 and need to start SCM. I tried VSS but it doesn't work in Geogrphically distributed environment so after research I found Plastic. Now server copy is installed on one m/c and client on my development m/c, I can see plastic plugin from PB12 source config but don't know how to create project so everyone can access it. Do I need to install pb12 on server as well?

Thanks for your response, I am in time crisis mode to implement this and not have enough time going thru documentation. Any help is appreciated.

PB User.

Hi PB user,

1- install the Plastic SCM client WITH SCC PLUGIN.

2- insure Plastic Client have access to plastic server (connectivity OK).

3- Open PB project.

4- Follow Steps as explained in our blog below link:

Plastic SCM with PowerBuilder

5- Add + Check-in your files.

DONE!

Your files will be committed to the Plastic SCM server and everyone will have access to the files.

regards,

Miller

Thank You.

I followed that but my pb.inin doesn't have any entry for SccMaxArraySize.

I Used Right click on few objects and added them to Source Control but on another development m/c after configuration, I don't see it part of SCM. I tried adding the same object from m/c 2 but that asked me for merge.

What am I doing wrong?

OK, forget about the pb.ini it is for optimization.

ok, seems like you are OK, you have objects added into the Plastic SCM repository on the server.

now to the machine 2, first, there is no reason to add the same object again into the repo.

The merge will fire up when you have changes between the machine1 object and the same object on machine2.

So check that the object(s) are completely equal (items in Plastic SCM terminology) .

Miller

PB,

it is much easier that you think, basically you (on machine 2/3/4 or x) just create an empty

workspace then import the files from the repository into your local workspace and start working right away.

No need to add from another point to the repository again until new files that does not exist needs to be added.

And yes indeed as you indicated, when you Checkout and checkin you are creating a new revision of

that same file, which is not needed if real content changes are not introduced.

Hope that clarifies it more,

Miller

Thanks Miller,

I guess I am not understanding exactly.

Let me give you some more details/steps how I am doing it.

I have abc.pbl with X object. I copied it to x development m/c. Now I go to m/c-1 and add the workspace XYZ then add couple of objects from the pbl to Source Control, everything looks good here.

M/c-2, I configured workspace ABC and selected the same repositery. Practically, when I open the existing abc.pbl from powerbuilder after connecting to Source Control then all the registered object should show me connected, isn't it? OR do I need to do something different?

I am not sure how will I import these objects in the corresponding pbls.

I know I am novice in SCM so all the help is appreciated.

Thanks Miller. Things are working now. Actually I needed to uncheck the box on PB source set up which says "Delete powerbuilder generated object file".

Things are looking better, Now I will need to see how I can implement it in geographically distributed environment. I will keep this forum posted.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived