mergetool configuration

DJMatty

Hi

Is it possible to configure semantic merge to default the text based merge tool to ignore whitespace and eol differences?

I set it to ignore whitespace & eol in the options menu, but it reverts back to just ignoring eol everytime it runs.

Hi,

When configuring SemanticMerge there is an option to configure the comparison method:

comparisonMethod:    {-i | --ignore}={none | eol | whitespaces | eol&whitespaces}

eg: (you can modify one of the scripts we provide in "samples" folder)

::  ..\..\..\semanticmergetool.exe -s=src.cs -b=base.cs -d=dst.cs -r=semanticmergetoolresult.cs 
-emt="..\..\..\mergetool.exe -b=""@basefile"" -bn=""@basesymbolic"" -s=""@sourcefile"" -sn=""@sourcesymbolic"" -d=""@destinationfile"" -dn=""@destinationsymbolic"" -r=""@output"" -t=""@filetype"" -i="eol&whitespaces" -e=""@fileencoding""" 
-edt="..\..\..\mergetool.exe  -s=""@sourcefile"" -sn=""@sourcesymbolic"" -d=""@destinationfile"" -dn=""@destinationsymbolic"" -t=""@filetype"" -i="eol&whitespaces" -e=""@fileencoding"""

You can see that I´ve modified the "-i" parameter in the external merge tool  and external diff tool parameters --> eol&whitespaces.

This way, your chosen option shouldn´t be reverted back.

Regards,

Carlos

Ah thanks Carlos! I didn't realise the -i parameter also worked in semanticmerge.exe

I had been speaking with Pablo and he suggested using a semanticmerge.conf file to control mergetool.exe and supply the -i parameter to it that way, which works too.

I'll try changing my git config settings to add the -i parameter, that way I can get rid of the .conf file.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

Yes, we have recently added the possibility to use a configuration file. This way you don't need to setup a long configuration line (potentially having trouble with scape characters) in your version control diff and merge tool configuration because every argument will be defined there.

http://www.semanticmerge.com/sm-guides/main.shtml#Launchoptionsconfigurationfile

Regards,

Carlos

Archived