Hang on installation. Now machine is unusable.

tombmedia

Hi guys, just installed the product and it sat on the installation window (not responding) after the command prompt appears that runs gettrial.exe, stuck on some png file the last file before the gettrial.exe prompt. After that nothing. Couldn't even kill the install process. Had to log off. Which took way too long.

Logged back in and couldn't uninstall so I reinstalled. It replaced my installation (with the prompt and an error about silent mode) and successfully created an uninstaller. However once it starts up it closes without a warning. Cant even get to the tools part, within a couple of seconds the application closes. Keeps a running copy in processes that I can't remove. Uninstaller crashes like the app and can't uninstall after that, tells me the uninstaller is running. I've tried to log off but after pinning the hdd for quite some time (nothing else was running this was brand new into the desktop) its now stuck on logging off. I've had to switch to another computer to get this forum post out. It's still hung but no longer doing whatever it was doing on the hard drive.

Going to hard stop my computer and uninstall from safe mode see if I can get the application properly uninstalled and try this over again. Any help would be appreciated.

Update, this works fine on my windows 8 machine but on a second installation on my windows 7 box it does the exact same thing. There is no way short of a reboot to kill the semanticmerge installation process once it dies mid install like this. Going to uninstall again and see if maybe its antivirus or something.

Yup, that was totally the case. I'm using Avast! on the windows 7 box. With my av disabled it was able to finish the installation.

You should have some graceful failure mechanisms in there guys, a fail midway through the install really borks things. If anyone else has this problem disable your antivirus.

Archived