Limitations with Branch-per-task in Powerbuilder environment

gcarlson

Very odd - I have now just been doing more testing and it seems that the workspace & check-out is working OK when switching between branches. I think I may have had the wrong workspace loaded in Plastic compared to the phisical location that I was working in.

All the same - it's still quite confusing to operate this way, as without refering to the GUI (or CLI) - there is no way of telling what branch you are working in.

In a branch-per-release model of course you would be in different phyical file directory locations and you could tell that way.

One solution would be to create a new workspace per branch, which is located in it's own physical location, but this not very workable as in PB you need the whole application in the workspace. This means a complete phsical copy of the whole application even if you are only changing one object/file...

Any suggestions?

Hi Miller,

Actually the problem that I thought I saw caused by my own confusion between the physical file workspace (on disk) that I was working in, and the Platic Workspace that I had active in the GUI - they were different.

So while I was doing things in the GUI (like switching branches) that were working - I was not seeing the updates to files in my physical directories.

Unfortunately in the Powerbuilder world you never spend any time in the file system - it's all done through the IDE (not unlike .NET or Java I guess) - but the bigger problem is that in the PB world there is the 'intermediate' PBL (Powerbuilder Library).

It's looking more like once again PB is causing an 'operational' difficulty in conforming with modern SCM practices - the damn PBL causes all sorts of problems.

I will begin another post to discuss the specific problem with merging and PB - and see if anyone can come up with any operational improvements.

cheers.

btw: am working with PB 11.5.1

Archived