You don't have permissions to deactivate user

Rick67

In the 'Repository Server Permissions', I am in a group that has ALL 'Allowed' permissions.  Unfortunately, I don't appear to have permission to deactivate a user.

Using the command 'cm deactivateuser S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxx --nosolveuser', I receive the message 'You don't have permissions to deactivate user S-1-5-21-3325927102-2916226932-842127252-66320. You need to be repository server administrator in order to be allowed to complete this operation.'

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately that's not possible because we are on a very secure network.

I don’t know if it helps, but I had a look at what’s being passed to the plastic server.

The request from the command “cm du XXXXXX  --nosolveuser” is a .net remoting call to DeactivateUser.vCodice.CM.Interfaces.ISecurityHandler

The reply from the server includes the response-

$Codice.CM.Common.CmSecurityException.....mExceptionArgs.ClassName.Message.Data.InnerException.HelpURL.StackTraceString.RemoteStackTraceString.RemoteStackIndex.ExceptionMethod.HResult.Source....
........System.Collections.IDictionary.System.Exception................$Codice.CM.Common.CmSecurityException......SECURITY_CANT_DEACTIVATE_USER

Hello Rick,

I'm not sure why it's not working. Once your current user is the repository server owner you should have privileges to activate and deactivate users.

Can you check if the "cm li" command is giving duplicated users?

Can you check if this command is returning you the user returned by the "cm whoami" command?

cm showowner repserver:server_address:8087

Thanks.

There are a number of duplicate users of which one of each is designated 'INACTIVE (Not licenced)'.  Interestingly, the user 'OWNER' is also designated 'INACTIVE (Not licenced).

The command 'cm showowner repserver:server_address:8087' works fine.

I also tried to deactivate user using 'cm deactivateuser {user ID}' but no success.

We have a more serious issue now!!!!

I set the 'ALL USERS' group to 'Deny all' and now no one can read the repository, including the owner, even though some users are in a group with appropriate permissions or some are not.

Receiving the message, "You don't have permissions for operation view".

Hi Rick,

the user set as the repository server owner will be able to access the system and re-add the "ALL_USERS" entry.

Notice that denying permissions for the "ALL_USERS" group will affect every user in the system, except for the root user, the repository server owner.

Le me share with you how to fix the issue if you are not able to log-in with the root account.

IMPORTANT!!!!! First of all, you have to make a backup of repositories.plastic, rep_1.plastic, rep_2.plastic…. files. We will need to modify these database files and it´s important to have a backup. You can find the files at: c:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\server

You need to install a database manager: sqlitebrowser if you are using Sqlite, SQL Management tool if you are using SQL Server…

- Open “repositories.plastic” file. Go to “aclinhentry” table and delete all the fields. This table should be empty.

- Go to “aclentry” table. You should have 5 fields. Set the next values: 0    0    0    369098751    0

- Open rep_x.plastic (where “x” is the repository number you want to change the permissions). Go to “aclentry” table and delete all the fields. This table should be empty.

- Go to “aclinhentry” table. You should have 3 fileds. Set the next values: 0    0    0

- Finally, restart the Plastic Windows service and it´s done. Permissions should have been recovered.

Here you have more info regarding the Plastic SCM security: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/security/plastic-scm-version-control-security-guide.shtml

Unfortunately, the repository server owner had the same problem i.e. "You don't have permissions for operation view".

We're now back up and running thanks but the owner doesn't have permissions to deactivate users or change owner again.  The owner was fine before I set 'Deny all' to the 'ALL USERS' group.

Furthermore, I've also noticed that I now have two ACTIVE accounts!

We tried that, the problem we are experiencing are the permissions on the repository server.

The 'ALL USERS' group was reinstated with all permissions set to allowed.  For your information, the 'OWNER' has all permissions set to allowed, is listed as a user with all permissions set to allowed, but is also in a group that has some permissions denied.  This is the user who is unable to change owner or deactivate users.  We believe the user is the 'ACTIVE' one too.  Is there a way of identifying the domain?

Hello Rick,

are you having available licenses? Can you create a completely new user, set it as the repository server owner and try the "du" command? If you are not having available licenses then I can generate you a bigger license.

We can also think about scheduling an online meeting and review the issue.

Unfortunately, an online meeting is not an option due to security.

However, through the command line, I've now managed to change the owner to myself by including the domain {domain\user}.  I've since identified my other account had a different domain and I've successfully deleted it.  Furthermore, I've deactivated the user I was unable to.  I now have the two spare licences.

Regarding the 'ALL USERS' group, does it simply mean ANY user or group including local and domain service accounts obtain the permissions that are set?

Can a user be in two groups?  If so, how are permissions overridden?

A user can be in multiple groups, 100% supported.

The behavior is always the same, the deny permission prevails over the rest, so if the same user belongs to group A and group B the following scenarios may occur:

ONE

A: mkbranch:  DENIED

B: mkbranch:  GRANTED

Result: The user CAN'T create branches.

TWO

A: mkbranch:  GRANTED

B: mkbranch:  NOT SET (neither granted or denied)

Result: The user CAN create branches.

THREE

A: mkbranch:  NOT SET (neither granted or denied)

B: mkbranch:  NOT SET (neither granted or denied)

Result: The user CAN'T create branches.

Thanks for that response.  It makes sense.

Regarding the 'ALL USERS' group, does it simply mean ANY user or group including local and domain service accounts obtain the permissions that are set?

Is there way of displaying more information about the user when using the command 'cm li'? For example, displaying the domain?

39 minutes ago, Rick67 said:

"ALL_USERS" group contains all the system users, and yes, they will get permissions inherited from that user. Consider "not grant and not deny, just unset" permissions in order to not to hit unwanted denied permissions while inheriting.

45 minutes ago, Rick67 said:

Is there way of displaying more information about the user when using the command 'cm li'? For example, displaying the domain?

Nop, sorry. Only the user name is displayed.

Archived