Out of the box SSL and documentation

Hi Guy's

I've been trying to setup my home pc as a simple server to host a repository and then SSL connect to it via it's dedicated IP address from a remote laptop.

So for a test I tried to configure a client on my other computer and connect over SSL by setting the port to the correct SSL port number and checking the SSL check box.  However after proceeding, the client complained that the names in the certificates did not match. I assume this is because I'm typing in the WAN ip address of my server rather than it's actual name (Which the default certificate is signed against?).

So without any luck there I thought I might need to create a new custom certificate against the fixed ip addres (I don't have a domain name). I didn't get very far with this though because I can't find any reasonably detailed and up to date documentation. There was an old knowledge base document that told me to use makecert but didn't generate the right kind of certificates.

So: 1 - Can you point me to some relatively detailed and recent documentation on SSL configuration if it has been made? and 2 - Is there a way I can SSL in to my server without making a new certificate? For example, does putting SSL:// before the server name/ip help? (I didn't get a chance to test that last idea)

Cheers!

Thanks so much for that PDF. I was able to connect to my home machine. And I was able to use my routers public IP address as the CN (Common name) when generating the certificate and pfx

One thing that really stumped me though was that the plastic server didn't seem to like pointing to a pfx file path other than the plastic server's root.  Actually I only tried one or two variations outside of the root folder. One such one that didn't work was similar to: C:\Users\<username>\foldername withspace\foldername\foldername\plasticSSL-someword\

It could be to do with having spaces in the path or perhaps the length. Sorry I don't have time to test it further.

Cheers

Archived