Advanced cherry pick

tony707

Hi,

We were wondering if you eventually plan to add a feature allowing to cherry pick a changeset from any branch to any other branch ?

We are already using the Advanced Merge > Merge from this changeset to, which is super convenient.

The same feature for cherry picking would be nice too and would save a lot of time when maintaining multiple branches with the same hotfix.

Thank you

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

You can already cherry pick from any changeset you want. Right click a changeset, "cherry pick from this changeset". We don't even consider it advanced.

You must be careful with cherry picks since they don't use merge tracking, but I guess you already know that.

We have a beautiful mini-site telling all about the basic merge concepts here: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/advanced-version-control-guide.html#cherry-pick

pablo

Hi Pablo,

If I am right, the "cherry pick from this changeset" only works in the case you want to cherry pick to your current branch.

In fact we would like to avoid switching branches to cherry pick because this process takes a lot of time (branches have big differences).

Thank you,

Hi,

Ok, I understand now. You want something like "merge to" but sort of "cherry pick to". Thanks.

Well, you can propose this in our UserVoice but initially we don't have plans to implement it at this point. So it will all depend on how many users consider it interesting.

As I said, cherry-picks should be something you don't use often. And not switching branches means you are most likely not building and testing the code prior to checkin, unless you just rely on the CI system for this, which would be fine.

It would be great if you can share (here or in the UserVoice) why you find this useful in terms of how it would help your workflow and why doing cherry pick to would be important :)

Thanks.

pablo

Hi,

Indeed I totally agree cherry-picks should not be used too often, but we ocasionnaly use this feature to apply the same patch to several branches.

The reason why we do not switch branch is that the branches differ from several GB of data (game assets).

A switch takes a lot of time reimporting all these assets in our game engine.

We do use a CI system which is configured to use a specific workspace for these branches.

Our typical workflow:

- Checkin the fix on the development branch

- Cherry pick the fix to the other branch (the advanced cherry pick would be important here)

- CI build the other branch

- Test the build

I've added a suggestion in the user voice: https://plasticscm.uservoice.com/forums/15467-general/suggestions/18825529-advanced-cherry-pick

Archived