Plastic 6

manish

Hello, I loved the almost weekly releases for plastic, but I've noticed it's been almost a month since the last one. It appears the weekly releases have been going on in the Labs sections for Plastic 6. I've tried to search for documentation or notices about version 6 but my searches have been unsuccessful aside from a few forum posts with people trying it out. I'm not sure if it's really not there or my searching is incorrect.

Is there a launch date for version 6? Aside from having to parse through tons of labs release notes,  is there any documentation on what it's all about, the jet engine underneath is all about and options for porting (without having to download and try it out blindly first)?

We love plastic but I feel lost suddenly on whats happening or about to happen.

Thanks!

Hi!

Yes, 5.4 is done now, and all the efforts are in 6.0, and in fact we are creating daily releases now, although we are not publishing all of them (so far).

You can follow what is going on in @plasticscm on twitter. There we announce releases, blogposts, screenshots of new features, etc.

6.0 is perfectly fine for production at this point. Some of our biggest customers are already on it.

We have marketing work to do to announce everything. And we are almost done with the features. In fact we recently announced the new main window layout for Windows, and the 4K support is ready too :-)

Thanks!

pablo

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the response! I've been keeping up with the blog and things. I guess what I was looking for is the "official" stuff which you said is yet to be announced.

I did have some follow-ups regarding Jet after re-reading a lot of stuff.. We use Plastic server on a Linux box with a MySQL database. Our main repo (Unity3D) is about 5 gigs and growing. We can easily see it get to 10 gb.

With that said...

1. Is Jet going to be better for us on Linux than using MySQL? Or is MySQL still better for our setup?

2. Is there a Jet db conversion tool for Linux?

Thanks!

-manish

Hi manish!

On 4/26/2017 at 11:46 PM, manish said:

1. Is Jet going to be better for us on Linux than using MySQL? Or is MySQL still better for our setup?

Yes! Much better.

The write/read speed for the Plastic SCM blobs is going to be much faster and you'll notice even more once your database start growing.

On 4/26/2017 at 11:46 PM, manish said:

2. Is there a Jet db conversion tool for Linux?

Not for Linux :(. You can setup a parallel server service (not a machine, just the daemon) using Jet and replicate from one server (mysql) to the other (jet). Really easy, I can help you with that, it will take 5-10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thanks @manu, one more question....

Is there any significant performance difference between running Plastic with Jet on Linux over Windows?

For various reasons, we are entertaining moving from Linux to Windows but not if there'll be a big hit...

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a similar position and would love to know how to migrate to Jet. Is it simple enough that you could put it in this forum or another how-to, or is it a more complicated procedure that is specific to the individual installation?

We have about 1.6 terabytes in Plastic (using MySQL) distributed among a bunch of repositories. Is Jet still a good choice for this case?

In your case, as you are using a Linux server you can't use the admin tool (We are working to have a proper admin tool for all the supported platforms).

So the alternative consists in installing another server, on windows or Linux, it really doesn't matter and set it up to use Jet as the database backend (create an empty "jet.conf" file at the server directory and that's it). Push your data to the new Jet server using the replication. Once you are confortable with the Jet content you can move the databases to the original server and use it or keep the new one.

If you want I'm available for you to get connected, set everything and explain in detail the process.

37 minutes ago, manu said:

In your case, as you are using a Linux server you can't use the admin tool (We are working to have a proper admin tool for all the supported platforms).

So the alternative consists in installing another server, on windows or Linux, it really doesn't matter and set it up to use Jet as the database backend (create an empty "jet.conf" file at the server directory and that's it). Push your data to the new Jet server using the replication. Once you are confortable with the Jet content you can move the databases to the original server and use it or keep the new one.

If you want I'm available for you to get connected, set everything and explain in detail the process.

HI @manu, thanks! I think i may be able to do the replication, that's using the setup in the docs right?

My only question is about setting up the second server on the new target windows box. Do I need a second plastic license to do that? I believe we already used up a free 5 day trial on it when we were first playing around.

Hi!

let me explain you what you can configure:

* basepath: The base path directory for the Jet database files.

* prefix: prefix to be added to the db files

* suffix: Suffix to be added to the db files

* maxcachedtrees: Max value of trees (changeset strucure) to be cached in RAM.

* datafilesize: Used to split the blobs (where the revisions content are stored) file in pieces based on the size you set here (GB).

Hope it helps!

manu,  is there a well-known solution to replicating *everything* from one server to another?  If so, could you share it? Right now I am considering writing a script using a combination of 

cm lrep ...
cm find branch ...
cm replicate ...

to replicate everything.  However, I do not want to "re-invent the wheel"

Thanks.

Hi!

you can use the SyncView: http://blog.plasticscm.com/2011/08/this-is-how-i-use-synch-view.html

And if you need to use the CLI then RepliKate can help you: blog.plasticscm.com/2012/02/after-accidentally-cloning-sexy.html

RepliKate basically does what your script is going to do, you can modify the RepliKate source code if you need to behave differently.

My migration went fairly well, though it would be nice to have a dedicated tool for Linux to change databases.

I had 130+ repositories so I created a shell script to call the RepliKate tool for each. On Linux you can use the mono installed in the Plastic directory to run RepliKate. It does have trouble (at least on Linux) with spaces in the names of repositories.

I had trouble with timeouts on the database it was reading from (MySQL). Oddly I had this even when trying to replicate in the windows GUI on some of the problematic repos. Maybe it's a hardware / disk capabilities problem?

Ultimately I ended up writing a Python script to more or less do what RepliKate does but with added function to save which repositories had errors so I could try them again.

Still working on a few of the last problem children, but it's mostly done.

@manu Just an update I was finally able to successfully port over to the new server from linux plastic 5.4 to windows plastic 6. I just set up replication from one to the other then switched everyone to point to the new one.

This post helped greatly to get everyone's existing workspace to point to the new repo

I did have another question...is there a way to double-check there is (or is not) any plastic server activity before doing something like rebooting the server machine or stop/restarting the server service?

• 11 months later...

Hi,

we would like to switch our SQLite Repos over to Jet but I don't really want to setup a 2nd server instance and replicate the Repos one-by-one if it's not necessary.
Since there's the new webadmin thingy in the meantime, is there also some kind of a command line tool for Linux? Unfortunately we can't use the webadmin as I wasn't able to install the required libuv for our somewhat-special-installation:

Hi @muihiasl,

you can still use the "admintool" utility in order to get the repositories migrated but this is a GUI tool only so you will require a GUI environment or an xserver workaround, is that possible?

There's another option, you can copy the sqlite databases to a windows/linux server with admintool/webadmin support, migrate the databases and put them back to the original machine.

Hi @manu,

thanks for the quick response. I was hoping the webadmin uses something that can be called from the command line as well. I'm not sure if I can make the xserver work, but I'll try the other option you mentioned. Copying the repos and trying the migration on a backup doesn't sound like a bad idea anyways ;)

Thanks so far!

Archived