Plastic Windows and long path names

stephanep76

Hello guys,

I'm having trouble with long path names with plasticscm on Windows even after doing the manifest changes and settings group Policy as indicated in a plastic post.

Everything works well on a Windows pro (1604) and it doesn't work with creative update (1703) (the paths are the same)

Did you notice that or has somebody any information about that which can help me to fix the problem ?

Thanks by advance for your answers because all of the pc composing our automatic build system are using Windows creative update and that only one that continues to build without failing updating the workspace is the one who has not the update... It should be related...

Kind regards

Stephane

Hi,

I have the same issue and followed the blog post you've made about it.

I simply tried to put "BlockLongPaths=true", and I've got the error message "The path is too long .... 248 characters"

When I put  "BlockLongPaths=false", it should work, but I've got the error message "Could not find a part of the path D:\...."

Thank you for your support,

Maxime

Hi,

We experienced the same issue ourselves: it worked flawlessly on some machines, but we never managed to make it work on others. It is more an OS / .NET thing than anything else, I'm afraid, so whatever solution you can find for .NET will work here.

We have a VM were we were simply unable to make it work, no matter what we tried.

pablo

Do plastic apps have the following in their manifest just to see if applied to application the parameters works better as indicated in following Microsoft article ?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx

<application xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <windowsSettings xmlns:ws2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2016/WindowsSettings">
        <ws2:longPathAware>true</ws2:longPathAware>
    </windowsSettings>
</application>

Stephane

• 3 months later...

The windows API has MAX_LENGTH of 255 characters only. That's the reason to this problem. If you want to solve this you can try GS Richcopy 360. I am currently using this software and it has worked for me and my enterprise to solve all our problems. Maybe it can help you too.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

If you don't have LongPathName enabled , you will get an error "Path is too long", which is legit.

If you enable LongPathName, you will be able to create files and folders with long path names using the command line.

However, the behaviour is different with .Net. Enabling LongPathName is not enough to have a it works on every machines (depending on Windows build number, family/pro, etc, etc), as you could get an error "Could not retrieve part of the path ......'"

To make it works in any case, you need to define it in <app>.exe.config, indeed. 

But you also need to add a "\\?\" before the file/folder path.

File.Create( @"\\?\d:\the_very_very_very_very_very_long_path_to_my_folder/my_file.txt")

Just note that there is not the 240 characters here :D

@manu Is there any for you to try it and implement it in Plastic ?

You can test it with a simple Console Application. this is the way I have reproduced the 3 behaviours.

Best,

McSime

Archived