There was a problem unpacking: index-pack abnormal exit

bvance

Hi there,

I'm trying to use gitsync to synchronize some local plastic repos distributed across my various workstations to one private github repository. My project has one submodule (some shared videogame systems I reuse across projects), which I have successfully pushed to github using gitsync.conf and an xlinked/gitsynced local repo.

The problem I'm now encountering is that, when I do the following:

1) Make a fresh local repository and use gitsync to pull from my github repo (which works flawlessly), then...

2) Make some trivial change and attempt to push it back up to github...

The push fails, giving me the following error message: "There was a problem unpacking: index-pack abnormal exit"

Now, I have no idea why this might be happening. I've noticed, however, that there is a weird discrepancy between the place where I made the initial push and all the places I've attempted to pull it: these fresh repos include a .submodules file in the root of the workspace, while in the original repo no .submodules file exists. So I suppose I have two questions. Am I SUPPOSED to see the .submodules file in my local plastic repos after syncing with a git repo that contains a submodule (or is Plastic supposed to automagically hide that from me)? And of course, the bigger question: why isn't this shit working?

I love Plastic and I hate git, but I am interested in open-sourcing some code of mine so this seemed like it'd be the best of both worlds. Really hoping I can get it running nicely.

• 2 years later...