Does checking an asset out do anything if you're using cloud??

chud575

hi there,

okay, so I get how version control works, But the team and I have been running into some oddities when it comes to working on the same asset on the same branch.  

Basically the question is this: Let's say i'm working on an animation asset (something with curves) or player settings.  To change them, i need to 'check out' the asset.  But that never stops my co-workers, who are all working remotely, from editing the same file simultaneously.  The end result is when we come back to the cloud to sync, we've screwed up and have made incompatible changes that can't be merged.  Is that how it goes for people using the cloud version of your software? Or are we doing something wrong?

Hi @chud575, you should be using the locking mechanism so if you checkout an asset the rest of users will not be able to check it out as well. Not only that, after checking-in the asset the rest of user will need to update their asset to get the latest version you created.

Check this link for further info: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/cloud/plastic-scm-version-control-cloud-guide.shtml#Editinglockrules

Archived