Unity plugin and file types on Plastic Cloud

Guest Matt Smith

Guest Matt Smith

Hi,

We're evaluating a switch from P4 to Plastic cloud.  Our artists like to use the Unity plugin, but we're seeing inconsistent treatment of file types for a small selection of files.  Some (not all) of our .unity, .rendertexture, .mat etc files are "txt" on one machine and "bin" on another, so each artists machine automatically reprocesses them and generates a big changelist.

Is there a way to specify this on the server?  Or at least locally?  I don't want to have to create another repo (as that means a long library rebuild for the whole team).

We're all configured in the plugin like in the attached image.

Thanks,

-matt

snip_20180115151539.png

snip_20180115151539.png

Hello @Matt Smith,

The file type is calculated during the Add operation, it reads the first file bytes in order to determine if it's text or binary, it's pretty accurate so I'm wondering if the first time you added those files they were binary and not text. If they were text I'm wondering if it's possible for you to share with us the file to internally text it.

Now, if you want to fix the files that are wrongly set as "binary" you can do something like this at the root path of your workspace:

dir /S *.yourFileExtensionHere | cm crt -type=txt

or

FOR /F "tokens=*" %%i IN ('dir /S /B *.yourFileExtensionHere ') DO cm chgrevtype %%i -type=txt

That will change your "*.yourFileExtensionHere" files to "text".

On the other hand, since the 665 release it's possible to place a "filetypes.conf" file at the root path of your workspace in order to add it to the repository, that will apply the file types rules to the new files added to all your users: (https://www.plasticscm.com/download/releasenotes/5.4.16.665#ga-image-log)

File type configuration: The 'filetypes.conf' config file allows users to associate the file extensions to file types (binary or text). This config file can now be placed at the root directory of the workspace.

This way, the file type configuration can be easily distributed among users. 

Finally, this "filetypes.conf" file can be also placed at the Global configuration repository to achieve exactly the same result. Learn here hoy to configure it: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/administration/plastic-scm-version-control-administrator-guide.shtml#Chapter16:Configurationfiles

Archived