Ran Debian Steps to Install on Ubuntu (Oops, help please)

I'm not a Linux guru by any measure. I'm comfortable from an advanced user standpoint, but I'm not near the level to answer my own question.

So... I followed the wrong instructions (Debian) when installing Plastic on my Ubuntu machine. Everything appears to work, but I was wondering what the process was for removing Plastic and re-installing it properly (and if the Debian release was actually any different than the Ubuntu release, dependencies etc.).

For instance, would it be safe to sudo apt-get purge plasticscm-complete or should I just use sudo apt-get uninstall plasticscm-complete? I'm mostly worried about dependencies, etc.

My core goal here would be to blow Plastic away completely and start for scratch, pointing to the correct package repos this time obviously.

Hi Xorcist,

If you want to completely remove all Plastic SCM packages, I recommend you to run this command:

sudo apt-get remove --purge plasticscm-*

That way you make sure all Plastic SCM packages are removed. Otherwise, removing plasticscm-complete would only remove that particular package (apt-get remove doesn't remove dependencies), which is just a metapackage to install all plasticscm-* stuff.

You can then manually remove /opt/plasticscm5 and /var/lib/plasticscm, which are the directories where the binaries and database are stored. Of course, backup your data first! (Unless you explicitly want it to be gone)

Is this helpful for your situation?

Thanks!

Regards,

Miguel

Archived