The item --- already exists

Stammy

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for the quick response! It is possible that is the case as it is showing as a new folder under the pending changes. I've literally just moved everything around, so the files that existed have not changed, they have just moved.

I'm using regular Plastic (I'm a new user so I'm probably doing something incredibly stupid)

Thanks,

Jared

Hey,

Plastic can detect moves quite well but... it can't do magic, I mean it is based on some heuristics so if you moved TOO MUCH, maybe it is not able to pair the moves anymore.

We have a feature to overcome this, which is a little bit experimental, but that could be perfect in your case (if you are in Windows): the Change Tracker Service:

https://www.plasticscm.com/download/releasenotes/6.0.16.1151?term=change tracker service

An awesome new feature: Plastic Change Tracker service for Windows to precisely track file moves and renames beyond heuristic guessing.

It is in experimental mode at this point. This new service takes advantage of the file system internals to precisely track file renames and moves, something we could only guess before (quite well, but just an heuristic after all).

It means binary file renames and moves (where diffing does not apply) will be incredibly precise now.

How to use it:

* You need to install the new service: plasticchangetrackerservice.exe --installservice. Then you can start it with --start or simply going to the service control panel.

* Use plasticchangetrackerservice.log.conf to configure log if needed.

* Enable it in your client.conf creating a new XML entry named: UseChangeTrackerService, set it to YES.

* Restart your client.

* Changes will only be precisely tracked while your client is open. You can do the changes directly in Explorer, but you need the Plastic client to be opened. We plan to improve this later.

* How do you see it is working? Well, every move won't be "moved locally" but just "moved" now because the change is applied immediately.

Enjoy!

Archived