Moving workspace to different disc

Molioo

I want to move my workspace from C:\ to G:\. 

From other post on that forum I found out that it's possible to move a workspace by using  "cm cwk" command.

I tried to do that and it returned an error saying

Error: Source and destination path must have identical roots. Move will not work across volume

So is there any other way to move my workspace from C:\ to G:\ ? How can I achieve that?

• 7 months later...

Hi.

I tried this, too, but now I am getting the error "Workspace info cannot be null" when I open the workspace in plastic UI 7.0.16.2277 (Saxon). How can I solve this?

Update: I just found another info in this forum which outlines just the opposite approach (don't move the .plastic folder)

Which guideline is correct and failsafe?

Regards
Frank

If not moving the ".plastic" folder, you are not actually moving the workspace but creating a new one on a different location. But as you are moving the workspace content, it won't need to be downloaded again (only the workspace metadata is recreated in the new path). 

The proper way to move a workspace is via command (not manually).

cm cwk --help

But the user reported a problem with this command so we were trying to find a workaround.

Regards,

Carlos.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again.

At least I found that it is a good idea to close all tabs in the plastic UI of the changed workspace or workspace to change, esp. the 'Pending Changes' prior or after the workspace movement.
This will erase the "Workspace info cannot be null" issue.

The approach gives also possibility to change workspace name by changing the name in [workspace].plastic/plastic.workspace and "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\plastic.workspaces" as well identically.

@calbzam: Though a litte off-topic: Is there a way to increase the number of choosable workspaces in plastic ui from a fixed number of 7 without the notion to use "Open other workspace ..."?

Thanks and regards
Frank

• 9 months later...
On 9/20/2018 at 3:40 PM, calbzam said:

You can also manually edit the "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\plastic.workspaces" file to point the specific workspace to the new location and then move the workspace (including the ".plastic" folder) to the new location.

Hi,

After an update to MacOS Catalina, all my workspaces have been moved by the Apple updater for "absurde" security reasons (root of MacHD is now Read-Only !). As I can't imagine today to check my workspaces 1 by 1, I'm just trying to tell plastic where to find his beloved workspaces. I juste when to do the same thing you adviced on Windows, but I don't find the plastic.workspaces file on a Mac.

Can you tell me where this file is stored on a Mac ?

Thanks a lot

• 2 years later...
On 9/20/2018 at 3:40 PM, calbzam said:

Hi,

You can also manually edit the "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\plastic.workspaces" file to point the specific workspace to the new location and then move the workspace (including the ".plastic" folder) to the new location.

Regards,

Carlos.

Hi, this works. I only needed to restart Plastic.