Cannot Checkin large repository

Hi, I'm trying to set up a new repository. I set it up with a centralized workflow (communicating directly with the server) and tried to checkin a large Unity assets folder (2.5 gb). It seems to upload OK for about 20mb and then gives up. The first time the error message read told me the server does not support ssl... but the option to use ssl is not checked in my preferences. The second time it told me "Unable to negotiate connection with server mycompany@cloud. Most likely the server does not support the new Plastic Protocol. Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

This puzzles me because I'm using the Plastic SCM cloud servers. I hope they are already set up correctly to support your "new Plastic Protocol"!

What's going on here? Is 2.5gb too much for Plastic SCM to handle at once? 

After further experimentation, I'm pretty sure this is just a problem with very large amounts of data being uploaded. Probably the server is closing the connection. Please could you at Plastic SCM fix this so that we can upload large amounts of data at once? 

Think I'm going to have to pass on SCM for now, large game data files were a key selling point for me. Back to Git!

It seems to upload OK for about 20mb and then gives up... I'm pretty sure this is just a problem with very large amounts of data being uploaded.

Hmm that is odd. I'm just a user btw (not a staff member). Cloud transfer is currently a bit slower than I would have liked (they have plans to make it a lot faster in the coming months), but I've definitely uploaded much more than that before without issues...

It is currently middle of the night for them, but perhaps wait to see what they come back with before giving up on Plastic SCM just yet?

I just moved from Git recently too, and there were a few minor things which annoyed me at the start too (I'm guessing your other post here was because you needed to click refresh? I've been tripped up a few times myself). But some of those things I've figured out how to fix by changing some settings, and overall been very happy with the move (granted some of it is not the most intuitive or easiest to find, but to be fair on the Plastic guys, it took me a LOT longer to get the hang of Git - I just got used to it over time and forgot what it was like at the start).

Good luck with your game!

David

I know there's always a learning curve but choking on large amounts of data is a deal-breaker for me :(

The learning curve is a big deal too because I'm working with people who've been burned by Git's learning curve and it made them skittish about source control in general. I'm interested in source control that has less "Gotchas!" for learners, but SCM seems to have about as many as Git (yes, that refresh button!)

Hi, 

2.5GB for a checkin is not too much. There shouldn't be any problem. Would you mind reaching us at support@codicesoftware.com with the following information:

Organization name.

Data center location.

Plastic client logs: "C:\Users\carlos\AppData\Local\plastic4\logs\plastic.debug.log.txt"

We will review our cloud logs to understand what could be happening.

- Regarding the learning curve, we have a different GUI more easy to use (mostly for artists or not very technical people:  Gluon). If you are facing problems to understand some features, we appreciate your feedback to improve it.

Regards,

Carlos.

OK, sent your support an email from janetrgilbert@gmail.com

I know Gluon, and was thinking of having our artist use it as I think he would like the feature of not having to download the whole repository (his internet is slow)

However I'm trying to persuade people who are technical (need code merging) but have been burned by source control in the past, specifically Git, which can make a huge mess of your files if you make mistakes. A more "user error" proof system would be helpful for indie game developers. The PlasticSCM interface is a bit opaque. Lots of tutorials pop up but they aren't really relevant to a beginner is trying to do. Like, the Refresh button is hugely important, but is kinda small and hidden and not really emphasized in the tutorial. An "auto refresh" function like Sourctree seems to have would be great.

An "auto refresh" function like Sourctree seems to have would be great.

FYI - you can turn on "auto refresh" for the Pending Changes view (go to Pending Changes > Options > What to show > Auto-refresh). I'm not sure why they haven't included an auto-refresh option for the other screens, but Pending Changes is the most important one.

A more "user error" proof system would be helpful for indie game developers. The PlasticSCM interface is a bit opaque.

From my (admittedly still limited) experience, I've found it a lot harder to stuff something up badly compared to Git. The branch explorer makes it a lot easier understand what's going on, and the default options prevent a lot of the common things that can get people into trouble.

But agree, some of the docs were a bit disorienting at first. I didn't find the in-program tutorials much help, but the online documentation helped a lot once I got around to reading them properly (the GUI guide is quite helpful - but it's very long, so you might prefer the free training that Carlos mentioned instead).

Anyway, hope your data upload issue gets sorted! Definitely doesn't sound normal for Plastic...

David

Hi,

- Regarding the auto-refresh. You can enable it (as David explained). It's not enabled by default because with big workspaces or slow disks it could take very long to calculate the pending changes.

- We also offer a free 1-hour training session for new companies so can request it if some workflows/features are not clear enough.

Thanks for your feedback!

Carlos.

Archived