Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Taylor

Why are Private.0 files created?

Hi,

If I merge from a branch which has the same file in it that I also have locally but not added, then the file from the branch I am merging from takes precedence and my local file gets renamed to myfile.private.0. Why doesn't this just create an evil twin conflict like it does if my local file had been submitted to my branch? Or at least pop up a dialog to get you to choose which file you want. Creating a private.0 file is not a very intuitive way of explaining what has happened.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Hi,

If you have a private file in your workspace with the same name, but it's not under source control, Plastic can't resolve any evil twin merge. The way Plastic handles it is renaming it to .private. This way, your local file is overwritten.

If Plastic was aware of this file, it will perform an evil-twin merge but if the file is private (not under source control), Plastic can't merge it.

Regards,

Carlos.

Yes, I agree that we may need to include a better explanation regarding what's happening. Maybe a message explaining the user why we are renaming the files to .private.

Regards,

Carlos.