Eclipse integration notes

sheeryjay

Hello, we have evaluated using PlasticSCM with Eclipse (versus Eclipse with Git). In the end we went with Git (it was close). Main reason were problems of Plastic in Eclipse (but for example Branch Explorer is awesome thing). What follows is a list of things that we think someone trying to use Plastic in Eclipse will notice and will think they are errors. (if we only wanted to use Plastic using natural GUI then this would not matter) We were somewhat disappointed with the level of PlasticSCM integration in Eclipse.

• F5 does not work in Branch Explorer and in other places (Pending Changes).
  • Diff should be available in history of changesets (Changesets view), not only in Branch Explorer.
  • Diff in Pending changes view.
  • Right button should work in pending changes view (enable viewing diff etc.)
  • It is impossible to do "Undo Unchanged" in pending changes. Files which have changes in time but are otherwise unchanged clutter it.
  • After I deleted file in Eclipse Plastic (and I think also tried to view pending changes) showed dialog with "'Checking in pending changes' has encountered a problem. Error: Complete_File_Path/FileName.java is not in a workspace."
  • Branches view should make bold-ify branch that is checked out in workspace.
  • Branch Explorer does not filter unlike normal Plastic GUI. In Eclipse it views entire history, not just few months (with 20000 commits it's really confusing to try to look at history).
  • When viewing history of a file, there is no action set for double click (could be diff changeset).
  • There is no support of synchronization perspective as far as we noted.

Clients were running Eclipse 4.3 in Windows 7. Version of Plastic was 5.0.44.509. If need be, we can support additional information.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. We´ve been improving the Eclipse integration, but there are some Plastic GUI features that are not yet available using the Eclipse plugin. The only point I don´t understand is this error:

- After I deleted file in Eclipse Plastic (and I think also tried to view pending changes) showed dialog with "'Checking in pending changes' has encountered a problem. Error: Complete_File_Path/FileName.java is not in a workspace."

After deleting a file, it appears as "deleted" in the pending changes view, as it does in Plastic GUI.

If you decide to test Plastic again, let us know and we will try to support you with the setup and tests, new interesting features are coming in 2014 ;)

Regards,

Carlos

Archived