Mac issues galore..

AKB

I have been a PC Plastic user for 6+ years and I love it. I recently changed job and was asked about what VCS I would recommend and I recommended plastic. I was unaware that the Mac client was so flakey. The person in charge of making a decision as to whether to go with Plastic is a mac user and his experience of the last day or so is not looking good. NOTE: he is on a brand new macbook, latest cloud client and latest apple OS

Attached is an error he says he is consistently getting just browsing around the UI. 

He also wanted to view pending changes as a tree but couldn't do it (Unlike the right click menu on PC)

He wanted to be able to view a branches set of changesets, move through them and see a list of files for that changeset in some window/pane.

He is coming from Source tree that allows all this and so does the PC Client

It seems that Mac client support is still very much an after thought and is there ever any chance it will get some decent development time? I expect you will lose a sale because of the experience he has had which is unfortunate. Plastic SCM is great and we may end up moving to some rubbish like git

image.png.362cc295643465aad9486b9151e5a1ba.png

Hi,

- Regarding the error, we are already handling it via support ticket. We will update this thread with all the details when we figure out the problem.

- Regarding the feature request, it's the same you are commenting here, right? We can continue reviewing it in this other thread.

-

He wanted to be able to view a branches set of changesets, move through them and see a list of files for that changeset in some window/pane.

If you open the "Branch Explorer" view, you can navigate through the different changesets of the branch and then run a diff for any of them in order to see the different files modified in this changeset. You can also open a diff panel from the "Branches" view or also from the "Changesets" view. Please let us know if you still miss something.

Regards,

Carlos.

• 7 months later...

Using both Windows and Mac daily, it has become very clear to me that the Mac version is very much an afterthought.  Not only is the entire UX completely different from Windows, but features that are available on Windows are inexplicably not available on Mac unless you use the command line or hand edit configuration files.

Is this "just the way it is" or are there ever plans for feature parity?

Hi,

Since a long time ago, we have independent and native GUIs for every platform (Windows, macOS , Linux). And we tried to adapt the design and usability based on the style guides of every platform.

If you are using macplastic, the vast majority of the features should be available (compared to the Windows GUI). What are the features do you miss? I will share it with the team.

We are always improving the GUIs.

Regards,

Carlos.

To be honest I actually prefer the tab-less design of the mac gui over the windows tab style that always seems to build up to infinite tabs lol.

Beyond that it wouldn't be fair to just throw out things off the top of my head so let me take some time to look at them both and come back with a list.  All I know off the top of my head is a couple times now I've gone looking for something on the mac side and not found it.  Like recently when I set up Jira integration and how to go through a config file rather than just set it up in the GUI like I did on Windows.  And even after setup it seems the Mac client doesn't have the same hookups that the Windows one does to Jira.