Viewing history of a file in a particular branch.

Bill

If I view the history of a file it shows me the changes in every branch, but doesn't show merges into our main branch.

Is it possible to show the history of changes in a file in just our main branch? We only ever merge into this branch.

thanks,

Bill.

Hi Bill, when you are running a merge, you are not always creating new revisions for the file and that's why they may not appear when viewing the file history.

If you open "View history as 2D revision tree", you will see the different created revisions for this file in a 2d graph including the merges performed in the file history.

Regards,

Carlos.

• 4 weeks later...

This is one of most missed features in Plastic.

I need to know when a particular version arrives in a specific branch.

It is often not important, when it was changed originally,  but is vital to know if that very change is part of a given release changeset.

And sorry - pointing to the 2d graph is not a solution. It is "PITA" to follow dozends of merges until to find if the merges might have hit my branch or not.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2019 at 12:35 PM, calbzam said:

Hi Bill, when you are running a merge, you are not always creating new revisions for the file and that's why they may not appear when viewing the file history.

If you open "View history as 2D revision tree", you will see the different created revisions for this file in a 2d graph including the merges performed in the file history.

Regards,

Carlos.

Hi,

I need to rollback my file to the previous revision but I am not sure how to do that:

1. History shows all revisions of a file in all branches and I am not aware what was the previous one. Changeset numbers do not help here because the nearest number is a version in an unmerged branch and not a previous revision in my history line.

2. Version tree has no "Revert to this revision" button and it is still not obvious what was the real previous revision of the file.

6 hours ago, calbzam said:

Hi,

In the revisions history list, you can order the revisions by "Create date". Doesn't it help you revert to the previous version?

Regards,

Carlos.

I think "Create date" and "Changeset" are ordered equally. So this does not help.

Usually when I explore file history I am interested in some history line and not all changes made everywhere in all branches.

1 hour ago, calbzam said:

Hi,

In the revision history panel, you can order the items in cronological order but also per branch.

Regards,

Carlos.

This does not help because we heave long living branch and we have multiple merges from this branch to the /main so the history line of a file consists of multiple branches.

I think what will be helpful is an option to hide non integrated changes of a file.

Hi,

This does not help because we heave long living branch and we have multiple merges from this branch to the /main so the history line of a file consists of multiple branches.

I don't mean in the 2D revison history tree but in the regular revision history panel (where you can see the list of the revision). You can order the list by branch and also by date so you can see the specific revisions that created in each branch and also order them by date.

The "cm find revisions" command is also useful for running more advanced queries and filter the output based on your needs:

https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/cmfind/plastic-scm-version-control-query-system-guide

We normally recommend in Plastic to keep the task branches short (although I understand not always is possible):

https://www.plasticscm.com/book/index.html#_task_branches_are_short

Regards,

Carlos.