Jump to content
VincentL

Update groups

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I'm a very beginner with Plastic so please forgive if I write mistakes and thanks to correct me.

 

 

Usefull note to understand this topic :

Our Plastic server is configured as follow :

  <WorkingMode>LDAPWorkingMode</WorkingMode>
  <WorkingModeSettings>add_up;skip_groups</WorkingModeSettings>

So that our plastic users come from LDAP but groups are administered through file "groups.conf".

 

For the moment, I'm in charge of scripting updating of groups.

I was told that I have to update the file named "groups.conf" on the server side to do it and I have several questions about this procedure.

The file is on the server side, for the moment we created a share for "server" folder to access the file.

I think I have two way to update this file :

1) By editing it directly

2) By using umtool.exe

Question 1 : Is there another better way I don't know yet ?

Question 2 : Is there some documentation somewhere about how to use umtool.exe ?

 

When I update groups.conf manually, the rights on repository that depends on the group modified are not updated instantately.

Question 3 : How can we force this update to have rights always in accordance with groups.conf contents ?

Question 4 : Can this be automatise ?

 

The file groups.conf looks like this : "group:name1:name2:...:".

Question 5 : What happens if I have two users with the same name ? Dupont, Martin and Dupont, Martin are two different person... Will they always have same rights ?

 

Thanks

 

Vincent Lojou for Delphi Technologies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

59 minutes ago, VincentL said:

I'm a very beginner with Plastic so please forgive if I write mistakes and thanks to correct me.

Don't worry here to help everybody :)

59 minutes ago, VincentL said:

Question 1 : Is there another better way I don't know yet ?

2

Yes! There's another way although it's a manual process, I'm not sure if it will be useful if you are looking to automatize it.

You can use the Plastic SCM WebAdmin interface to manage the groups:

image.png

 

Quote

Question 2 : Is there some documentation somewhere about how to use umtool.exe ?

You can type "umtool.exe --help"  to get the command usage and check examples.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>umtool --help

These are available commands. You can either use long commands names or short command names.

Long name               Short name
------------------------------------
addgrouptogroup         agtg
addusertogroup          autg
changeuserpassword      passwd
creategroup             cg
createuser              cu
help                    hlp
listgroups              lg
listmembersfromgroup    lmfg
listusers               lu
removegroup             rmg
removegroupfromgroup    rmgfg
removeuser              rmu
removeuserfromgroup     rmufg
renamegroup             rng
renameuser              rnu

* Executing a command:
      umtool command_name

* Get help of a command:
      umtool help command_name

* Show this help:
      umtool /? or umtool -help

 

It also works for subcommands:
 

C:\WINDOWS\system32>umtool agtg --help
Include an existing group into a group.

Usage:

    umtool addgrouptogroup | agtg <group_to_add> <group_name>

Examples:

    umtool addgrouptogroup testers developers

 

1 hour ago, VincentL said:

When I update groups.conf manually, the rights on repository that depends on the group modified are not updated instantately.

Question 3 : How can we force this update to have rights always in accordance with groups.conf contents ?

Question 4 : Can this be automatise ?

I'm sorry I think it can't be changed. I'll double check just in case.

1 hour ago, VincentL said:

Question 5 : What happens if I have two users with the same name ? Dupont, Martin and Dupont, Martin are two different person... Will they always have same rights ?

it's not possible to have two Plastic SCM users with the same name.

BTW, I checked your company has Enterprise support so please feel free to contact us at support at codicesoftware dot com in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks manu for this quick reply !

 

1 hour ago, manu said:

Yes! There's another way although it's a manual process, I'm not sure if it will be useful if you are looking to automatize it.

You can use the Plastic SCM WebAdmin interface to manage the groups:

I though Plastic SCM WebAdmin only allow us to add Plastic Users into Plastic Groups but, as I said, we don't use Plastic Users but LDAP Users :

309776477_Authentication-PlasticSCM.thumb.png.1ecebb5018295cf50246bb89ce4d239f.png

 

1 hour ago, manu said:

You can type "umtool.exe --help"  to get the command usage and check examples.

Yes, you're right. I thought about a web page with examples or something else more user friendly than a dos command :).

 

1 hour ago, manu said:

I'm sorry I think it can't be changed. I'll double check just in case.

Ok, if it's really not possible, how can I be sure that the update of "groups.conf" file has been taken into account ?

 

1 hour ago, manu said:

it's not possible to have two Plastic SCM users with the same name.

Oh... It will certainly be a big problem, we can't rename someone as people information are in LDAP and we can't modify LDAP information.

Do we have to hire only people that name is different ?

 

1 hour ago, manu said:

 BTW, I checked your company has Enterprise support so please feel free to contact us at support at codicesoftware dot com in the future.

I didn't know you prefer private questions than forum, I'll do for later questions.

I think this problem of updating groups manually with LDAP users is so important that may interest other people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...