One database backend for multiple repositories?

At some point years ago in an early version of Plastic I seem to vaguely remember discussion of an undocumented ability to configure Plastic to use a single database on a server and use multiple schemas within that database for repository objects. But I can't seem to find any of that discussion in the forums anywhere. Is this possible? Could I, for example, have three separate repositories all using one SQL Server database but each using a different schema name in that database? 

This would greatly simplify database backup management for large numbers of repositories.

This is totally possible if you create "submodules" or simply repos inside repos. Try creating repo main, then main/subrepo and this will happen by default.

That being said: we are recommending all our customers to move away from SQL-xxx into Jet, our ad-hoc highly optimized backend.

Nice. I never had an occasion to create a subrepo, that makes sense. Thanks!

Regarding Jet...it sounds great for speed but I like the transparency and accessibility of SQL Server (being able to use TSQL). I've had minor issues in the past (regarding dangling workspaces when clients were removed without removing their workspaces) where directly modifying the data for a workspace in the SQL table fixed the problem (this was a few years ago). Not having the ability to query/modify Jet data could be an issue. At least with SQL I know that I have an extra layer of visibility into the underling storage system so that if anything goes wrong (corruption for example) and I don't have a recent enough backup for some reason (or a backup wouldn't help, like in my above problem) then I still can potentially fix the issue.

The completely closed nature of Jet keeps me relying on my trusted SQL server. 

Do you have Jet tools (even command line would be fine) that allow for query/update capability if needed? Or do you publish the Jet structure/standard anywhere? 

• Like 1