global ignore.conf ignored for one of our users

Wolfram

Hiho.

Since a few weeks, the global, server-wide ignore.conf seems to be...ignored for one of our users. As a result, as we are using Unity, Pending Changes is constantly cluttered with thousands of files from /Library, and it takes 20-30 seconds accessing it each time, as the client seems to check each individual file.
For all our other users, the global ignore is working just fine.

The global file is /allrepos/ignore.conf in the repository plastic-global-config, and its first lines are:

!ignore.conf
/Library
/Temp
/ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt
/obj

It seems independent of the project he is accessing, and re-installation or creating new workspaces does not help.

See attached screenshot. Note the state of all /Library files is "Private", instead of "Ignored".

The version he is using is 8.0.16.3257, but it also happens with older versions (such as 7.0.16.2637). According to him, this happens since he re-installed his whole PC from scratch (including Windows 10), so there was no previous %LocalAppData%\plastic4 .

A workaround we found was to explicitly add "Library" and "Temp" to the project-local /ignore.conf, and committing that. But it would be a bit inconvenient to unnecessarily edit the local ignore-files for all projects he is working on.

Any ideas? 😕

Thanks!

Wolfram

plastic01e.PNG

Update: it seems the problem is an empty folder %LocalAppData%\plastic4\globalconfig (it just contains the correctly named but empty subfolder of our server connection).
Closing the client and completely deleting the "globalconfig" folder did not help, it just recreated the still empty server folder inside.

In his client logfile lines like this appear (but there are no confirmations whether it succeded or not):

2019-06-14 15:10:19,128 DESKTOP-N53JVKU\Eric DEBUG GlobalConfig - Try to get the server config from the file 'C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\plastic4\globalconfig\ssl_XXXXXXX_8088/allrepos\ignore.conf'

In mine that line is instead :

-06-14 13:08:02,150 NMY-PC7\wkresse DEBUG GlobalConfig - Try to get the server config from the file 'C:\Users\wkresse\AppData\Local\plastic4\globalconfig\ssl_XXXXXXXXX_8088\allrepos\filetypes.conf'

Notice in his log message (=broken client) the directory separator after the server path folder is "/" instead of "\" - maybe that is related to the problem?

There are no "ERROR" or "WARN" messages in either log file, except this:

[mine:]
2019-06-14 13:08:02,146 NMY-PC7\wkresse WARN  filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line:       # Fichero de extensiones de Plastic SCM. Sintaxis: <expresión>:<tipo>.
2019-06-14 13:08:02,146 NMY-PC7\wkresse WARN  filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line:       # El tipo puede ser 'txt' o 'bin'.
2019-06-14 13:08:02,147 NMY-PC7\wkresse WARN  filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line:       # Ejemplos:
2019-06-14 13:08:02,147 NMY-PC7\wkresse WARN  filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line:     

[his:]
2019-06-14 15:12:22,683 DESKTOP-N53JVKU\Eric WARN  filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line:       # Plastic SCM extensions file. Syntax: <expression>:<type>.
2019-06-14 15:12:22,683 DESKTOP-N53JVKU\Eric WARN  filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line:       # Valid expressions are: '.cpp', 'myfile.cpp' ... (Metacharacters are allowed: '*', '?')
2019-06-14 15:12:22,683 DESKTOP-N53JVKU\Eric WARN  filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line:       # Examples:
2019-06-14 15:12:22,684 DESKTOP-N53JVKU\Eric WARN  filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line:     

And for some reason, mine is in Spanish x-D
Not sure what this "extensions file" is - I don't think we configured one. But that warning might be unrelated.

Could you attach the full client logs for the user having the issue (and if possible a user not having the issue)? (you can also send it to support@codicesoftware.com).

I guess there is not an external tool (antivirus...) removing the content of this folder, right? It's a bit weird that the issue is only happening to one user in your team (I guess you are using, the same Plastic server, connecting to the same server...).

A workaround we found was to explicitly add "Library" and "Temp" to the project-local /ignore.conf, and committing that. But it would be a bit inconvenient to unnecessarily edit the local ignore-files for all projects he is working on.

The user who faces the issue could create a local "ignore.conf" in the workspace so you don' t need to commit the file to the repo.

Regards,

Carlos.

4 hours ago, calbzam said:

The user who faces the issue could create a local "ignore.conf" in the workspace so you don' t need to commit the file to the repo.

Ah, good to know, I assumed that much. I was just taking the word of my colleague for it that he had to commit it.

I sent additional info to the email you gave, the ticket number is 18298.
Cheers!