Mikael Kalms

Plastic, Jira Cloud, and Jira Next-Gen project integration status

Hi,

I have been testing how well Plastic SCM's Jira integration works with Jira Cloud and Jira's Next-Gen projects.

Here is what I have so far:

* Configuring the Jira integration using the Plastic UI behaved weirdly: If I went into Preferences / Issuetrackers and configured a Jira integration and pressed OK, the configuration would be active, there would be a jira.conf file written to my harddrive, but if I opened up Preferences / Issuetrackers again I would not see the currently-active configuration in the GUI. Solution: Configure once (to get a jira.conf file), then proceed from there by modifying the jira.conf file manually.

* For Jira Cloud, the 'username / password' should be an email address / an API token.

* It is reasonably straightforward to set up Plastic SCM to be able to create branches from issues. This works fine with Next-Gen projects.

* When creating a custom field for Plastic SCM information, it is difficult to find the ID of the custom field in a Next-Gen project. I needed to talk directly to Jira's REST API to find it.

* Plastic SCM cannot write information about check-ins to Jira issues in Next-Gen projects. This is because Next-Gen projects do not yet support Text (multi-line) fields; the only text field that is available currently is Text (single-line), which is limited to max 255 chars in length; this is not sufficient for a single entry from Plastic SCM. This is the kind of error that you will see in the log if you try this:

ERROR jiraextensionrest - There was a problem putting to '/rest/api/2/issue/JIR-8': The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.
ERROR jiraextensionrest - Response from the server: {"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"customfield_10105":"The entered text is too long. It exceeds the allowed limit of 255 characters."}}

* Plastic SCM can transition JIRA ticket statuses based on commit message keywords. This is easy to set up and works with Next-Gen projects.

* There are some recurring error messages in the logs, but I don't know what impact they have:

ERROR jiraextensionrest - There was a problem getting '/rest/api/2/mypreferences': The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
ERROR jiraextensionrest - Response from the server: {"errorMessages":["key not found: 'plastic.diffchangeset.url'"],"errors":{}}
ERROR jiraextensionrest - There was a problem getting '/rest/api/2/mypreferences': The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
ERROR jiraextensionrest - Response from the server: {"errorMessages":["key not found: 'plastic.formatdata'"],"errors":{}}

Another observation: In the "Create new child branch from task" dialog, the "Mark as open in issue tracker" checkbox is cleared by default, its setting is not remembered between multiple branch creations, and the Plastic admin cannot control this centrally. I'm not sure that this is the default that you want. I also suspect that the default of this setting would be useful to have in <issuetracker>.conf.

From here on, we will either transition to Jira Classsic projects (so that we can enable Plastic SCM to write check-in information to the issues), or we will not use the Plastic-Jira integration.

... We just gave up on Jira's Next-Gen projects, and switched to Classic projects instead. This was due to various other features that were lacking in Next-Gen projects.

Ok, thank you very much for the update. I was not aware of theseJira's Next-Gen projects. We will need to adapt the plugin to fix your reported issues and being fully compatible with them.

Regards,

Carlos.