I need urgent help. Plastic is locked because of a missing changeset.

Marc S

Hi.

I'm currently locked by Plastic because of a deleted changeset. I have some local changes that I cannot undo or commit because the home changeset has been deleted from an other computer and there is no option to handle that situation. I'm stuck because of a deleted empty folder. I can't revert it, I can't commit it, I can't shelve it. I tried to create an other folder with the exact same name and it doesn't work either because Plastic think it's a new one. I tried editing the plastic.selector file to "manually" get to a valid changeset but it does nothing.

To put is simply, nothing works because of that missing changeset and Plastic doesn't know how to handle that situation. Is there any way I can force plastic to change the home changeset?

Thanks

Hi Marc,

First, very sorry for this issue. I take full responsibility on this because this is a known bug that I personally decided not to fix yet.

Now, here goes a workaround.

Go to your workspace. Go into the hidden directory .plastic.

Show me your plastic.selector. It must be a branch, not a changeset. Does it look like this?

>type plastic.selector
rep "quake@localhost:6060"
  path "/"
    smartbranch "/main"        

If it does, you are good to go. If not, remove the "changeset" part and leave the branch.

Close your GUIs.

Delete (or backup) the plastic.wktree file inside this plastic hidden directory.

This is the workspace metadata, and the one causing the problem.

Now open the GUI, go to workspace explorer and click "update". Plastic will rehash your files, won't download much, and you'll be good to go.

Let me know if it helps.

pablo

Hi Pablo and thanks for answering me on Sunday.

So I tried and do get the "home changeset again" but it's the first one meaning Plastic is going to redownload my whole project. This is what I'm trying to avoid because I have a bad bandwidth.

I tried editing the selector to get to my targeted changeset but Plastic ignores it. Any way I can do that?

repository "MyProject@Myplasticlcoud@cloud"
  path "/"
    smartbranch "/main/Car Tournament Retrieval" changeset "435"        

PS: I do have an other instance of Plastic working at the moment (Making a new workspace from a local repo).

Edit: re reading your message I understand it should go to my chosen changeset. Trying it and hoping I won't have to redownload the whole thing.

Hi, I have the same problem in that changesets were created ok, 1 to 5 (for example) and a few other changesets were created which I deleted using the GUI (all good so far).

However, when I manually deleted a folder and replaced it with another and then tried to check in the "changes", PlasticSCM came up with the message "The specified changeset 8 cannot be found...". 

I duly deleted the plastic.wktree and then tried to check in changes only for it to now say "The method verison 15 is not supported.  Minimum supported version 0.  Maximum supported version 1." 

Any ideas? Or should I consider it lost and start from scratch?

After deleting the "plastic.wktree", did you update your workspace? Note: As Pablo explained, your workspace selector needs to be pointing to a branch (not changeset).

I don't understand why it doesn't work for you. You can always create a new local workspace and apply your changes in this new workspace.

Regards,

Carlos.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We have released the following task:

[Bug] 8.0.16.3433
All platforms - Plastic, Gluon: We improved the behavior when you have local changes and the changeset loaded in your workspace is deleted by a different user.
Before these improvements, this meant that you got stuck: at that point you were unable to checkin, shelve or undo your local changes.
We modified the client behavior to enable you to undo your local changes, letting you out of that loophole. Shelving or checking them in will still be unavailable, as they wouldn't have a parent changeset.
The 'undo' behavior will be slightly different depending on the client you use:
Gluon will always allow you to undo the local changes. If the original contents aren't available anymore, the head contents of the current branch will be used instead.
Plastic, on the other hand, will notify you about the inconsistency and then ask you for confirmation to undo all your local changes and update the current workspace.

Regards,
Carlos.