Unity Editor New Project Setup

jdyeager

Just wondering, is there any documentation available on the options for setting up a new Unity3D project with Plastic?

For my current project, I created the repository and workspace using the Plastic GUI and then opened the project in Unity and configured version control in the editor to use PlasticSCM. However, it seems like I can also:

1. Create a new project.

2. Set the version control type to PlasticSCM.

3. Set the workspace and repository name to have the workspace and repository created automatically.

The repository name format seems to be name@server:port, but I just found that through trial and error. It would be nice to know if there are other options for that, or what the behavior actually is when I set up my project this way. For instance, will that work for connecting to an existing repository and for creating a new repository? Or is the syntax different? There just doesn't seem to be any documentation on what the expected workflow should be.

I also find it a little strange that once my project is set up with a workspace and repository, I can't see what they are in the Unity project anymore. All I see is whether it is connected or not.

Hi,

The behavior is the following:

- If the project root path is already inside a PlasticSCM workspace, you wont be asked to enter neither a workspace name nor a repository (as you did in the end I guess...)
- Otherwise, Unity plugin will ask for a repository and a workspace names before getting connected.
The workspace name is simple,  (the workspace root path will be the unity project root path).
The repository name works as descibed below:

a) you can enter a single repository name, or a fully qualified repository spec (repname@host:port). If you enter a single repository name, the default host and port configured in PlasticSCM will be used.

a1) If the repository already exists, Unity plugin will use that repository to work with (don't worry, the repository data won't be overrided).
a2) If the repository doesn't exist, the repository will be created automatically.

If the parameters are correct, Unity plugin will get connected. Otherwise, an error message will be shown in the Unity Console view, and the plugin will be disconnected.

Maybe you can visit the following link to watch our Unity webinar and learn more features regarding Unity plugin:

http://plasticscm.com/unity-plugin.html

Hope it helps!

Thanks, yeah, that is very helpful. I keep meaning to watch the webinar to see what I might be doing wrong or could improve on when using Plastic with Unity, but it's been difficult to find the time lately. We've had a lot of problems with Plastic/Unity seeming to use a cached server path and throwing 'no such host is known' errors when working off our server's LAN. I thought maybe starting from scratch and only using the Unity plugin to set up my project could help, but I haven't tried it yet. Right now we're mostly using the Plastic GUI and Unity plugin simultaneously, so I thought maybe that is causing some strange behavior.

Thanks again,

- Josh

Archived