Building from code under source control

sbeaver

Let's say I have a project under source control. I check out all the source files, make some changes and then compile it with "make"

Now my workspace contains all kinds of garbage resulting from the build process. Object files, temporary files, executables, libraries etc.

Now Plastic thinks there are lots of new files that need to be added or checked in to the repo.

What strategy do you suggest to deal with this?

"make clean" before checking in the changes? would work I suppose.

I could also make a copy of the project outside of the workspace and compile/test there. - This is what AccuRev do with their "Reference copy" feature. - Make a copy of the project outside of the workspace for building and testing.

How do other people handle things like automated nightly builds from a plastic repo?

Think about a large project like OpenSSH for example. I add it to a plastic repo and now I want to work on a small section of it. I check out a couple of files and make some changes. How do I test them? Do I have to check-out the entire project (5,000 files) build it and test it, then "make clean" and check them all back in again, or is there a better way?

Sorry for the long question.

Steve

Now my workspace contains all kinds of garbage resulting from the build process. Object files' date=' temporary files, executables, libraries etc.

Now Plastic thinks there are lots of new files that need to be added or checked in to the repo.

[/quote']

I guess you mean that the new files appear on the "pending changes view". In this view, unset the check "Find private" so that the non-controlled items don't show up on the view. In any case, these type of items are not checked in by default and you need to explicitly mark them.

You can also add the build products to the ignore list, and then they are not added in any case.

D.

Archived