Continuous Replication set up

pb12user

Hello,

I was helped by Miller to set up PB12 with plastic SCM (thanks Miller), now I need to have distributed environment which I am able to set up fine. It is replicating. Only problem is manual replication. My servers are connected all the time so I want the status of object to be refreshed continuously. We hardly run into situation where more than 1 developer need to checkout same object.

I would prefer to set up SCM so that if user 1 at Location 1 checks out the item than user 2 at Location 2 should not be able to make changes. This all should happen without going thru Manully pushing or pulling replicated item. I need more like transactional replication.

Any help???

Thanks.

Hi!

In order to set up replication as an automatic process there are several options. The easiest one is to set up a simple script and use the replicate command.

Another option is to contact our support team and ask them for our "replikate" application, which sits on top of the CLI and automates the process for you (is the one we do use internally to keep our servers in synch).

I would prefer to set up SCM so that if user 1 at Location 1 checks out the item than user 2 at Location 2 should not be able to make changes. This all should happen without going thru Manully pushing or pulling replicated item. I need more like transactional replication.

This is more tricky since it goes against the design principles we followed in Plastic: look, you're trying to avoid simultaneous change, hence parallel development, and that's not a good practice. You could implement it using triggers, for instance (something like having one server check if the item is checked out on the other server prior to checkout) but I wouldn't recommend this.

I'd rather go for branch per task and have developers working on separate tasks and then integrate them all together on the main site upon replication from the remote locations.

Sounds good?

pablo

I agree with your suggestion but that is good for bigger development environment. We are small group (6-7) of developers and never really need parallel development.

I guess even if it doesn't force user 2 from checkout, at least it should warn that object has been checked out by user 1 so that user 2 can avoid making changes. We wouldn't be able to branch it because task are so smaller in nature to be able to divide further.

Does it make sense?

I would like to use Replikate if possible. I will contact support later. If you have link to this app, would you please forward?

Thanks.

HI PB12,

Replikate is attached as a zip file.

If you run "replikate.exe" without parameters, you'll find how to use the program, but the basic usage is as follows:

Execute it from the Workspace folder, the Plastic cm.exe tool will be needed and will be executed from the PATH:

You can set the PATH temporary with: set PATH="Path of directory";%PATH% - ex.: set PATH="C:\Tmp\PlasticProg01\client_Temp";%PATH%

replikate.exe "name_of_src_rep@src_server_name:src_server_port" "name_of_dst_rep@dst_server_name:dst_server_port"

Example: replikate.exe "FirebirdRep01@localhost:8084" "SqlServerRep01@localhost:8089"

replikate.exe "ReplicaSRC@localhost:8084" "default@192.168.1.236:8090"

A log file "replikate.log.txt" will be created in the program folder.

Cheers,

Miller

replikate.zip

Archived