Mikael Asplund

Do I need java to run SemanticMerge?

Do I seriously need to buy a java license to use this tool, or is there a way to disable java support and get it running without java installed? I have no java, or java based languages in my environment or code, but it's asking me to install java as soon as I try to run a git merge. Oddly, this seems to have very little mention in any help, etc. I can't seem to find anything when googling. 😞

Semanticmerge isn't written in java, is it? 😱

Hi,

Semantic Merges needs java for java and C++ parser. Is this your case?

If you run one of the C# samples included with the tool, you shouldn't need to install java. Could you try it?

Regards,

Carlos.

My case is C++... It seemed unlikely that I would need Java for that, but you're saying I do? That's unfortunate... Seemed like a really useful tool, but I've managed without it before, so I guess I can manage going forward too. :-) Thank you for your answer!

Hi again,

The C++ parser is very complex and it uses some Eclipse libraries. That's the reason why you need java installed. There is still a free java version, right? Open jdk.

I mean why you discard Semantic Merge just because you need to install java for the C++ parser?

Regards,

Carlos.