Possible to globally disable date filtering?

Wolfram

I noticed this in the 8.0.16.3594 release notes:

Windows - Plastic: We've added dynamic date filtering to the Branch Explorer. You can easily set the Branch Explorer to show changesets from the past week, month or year. 

I am the maintainer of our repositories, which means I need to work with the history a lot, and as such always found the date filtering kinda annoying and confusing since it's introduction...I have NO use for it whatsoever, I don't care about a few milliseconds delay, or a microscopic spike in the server load - but I WANT to see the whole history. Always.

So a two-fold question:

• Is there a way to default the date filtering to "forever", or to something ancient, like 2010? For ALL repos and ALL workspaces? And ALL windows (branch explorer, changeset list, ...)? Currently I seem to (repeatedly?) have to reset this to 2010 for every single workspace (of which I currently have 70).
  • Could you please add the field "Forever" to the new "Since:" dropdown, and make it configurable, so that this does NOT have to be set manually for every single workspace and window, on every single client?

Thank you very much! 🙂

Cheers,

Wolfram

Interesting. I tried this now, and it seems to work.

But I am also certain that in the past I had to modify this date quite often, even on the same machine, as it kept resetting itself to some seemingly arbitrary value.
Maybe that was a bug that has been fixed by now? I'll keep an eye out for it.

• 5 months later...

OK, the problem was not the Branch Explorer - here the adjusted date seems to work, and also seems to be stored.

But for several other windows, I continuously have to reset this, either once per workspace, or sometime every single time.

Some example of which windows are affected:

• Changesets: Here there isn't even a date field. So to show ALL changesets (which is necessary if you want to search for a keyword), you need to click "Advanced", then manually select the "where date > '...'" part and delete, then Return/Execute. But even then, this is per workspace(?), and even "Set as default query" does not work across repositories/workspaces.
  • "View history as a 2D revision tree": for every file, a different date seems to be shown in the "A given date" field => OK, checking this again in detail it seems, this date is automatically chosen to be the date that particular file was FIRST added to the repository. Can you confirm this? If that is the case, the current behaviour is fine, I guess (as there is never any information hidden/missing), it's just confusing that the date changes, unless you KNOW this is actually the date when this file was introduced (which can be useful information)

There may be other windows/subtabs that are effected, I'm not sure. For example, the branch explorer "Show selected...in a new diagram" seems to be fine, as it seems to use the date setting from the main branch explorer.

• 2 months later...

Hi Wolfram,

I'm sorry for the delayed answer.

OK, checking this again in detail it seems, this date is automatically chosen to be the date that particular file was FIRST added to the repository. Can you confirm this?

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way either. It is going to show you the same timespan you have selected in the branch explorer view. So if you select a file that was not modify in that timespan, it is not going to show you any data. But it keeps the one from the branch explorer.

Changesets: Here there isn't even a date field. So to show ALL changesets (which is necessary if you want to search for a keyword), you need to click "Advanced", then manually select the "where date > '...'" part and delete, then Return/Execute. But even then, this is per workspace(?), and even "Set as default query" does not work across repositories/workspaces.

Which behaviour would you like to have? To allow you to specify a determined query and have it for all the repos? Or maybe an option like the one in the branch explorer? All the feedback is welcome, as you can be thinking of an option we weren't even considering.

Best,

Héber.