Sign in to follow this  
Brady

How to create a local repository on a network drive?

Hi,

Are you having any specific error when entering the network path? If you map the drive to a letter, does the issue persist?

Regards,

Carlos.

I never am given the opportunity to enter a path.  Not for the repo, just for a workspace.  Creating a repo only lets me select "local" from a drop-down, and then it's created and shows up in my repository list.  But it never prompts me or gives me the ability to select a path.  I looked in the online docs and it shows screenshots of creating a repo on a tabbed interface that has a box for entering a path.  But I don't see anything resembling that when I go to create a repo.

I've attached a screenshot of the window I'm describing.  As soon as I click "Ok", the repo is created and shows up in the list without any further prompt.

image.png

Hi,

The repos are stored on the server side. You configure the database path but this is a server side configuration. By default, the databases are stored at:

C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\server\jet

That's the reason you are not asked to enter a custom path when creating a repo (database).

You will be asked to enter a custom path when you create a workspace (local copy of the project). In the following link, we explain the differences between a Plastic repository and workspace.

https://www.plasticscm.com/branch-per-task-guide/gui/whats-a-workspace

Regards,

Carlos.

Right. What I'm wondering is if it is possible to cause the local repos to be stored on somewhere other than on the local harddisk?  I definitely don't want my workspace stored on the network due to speed of access.  But to save space, I'd like the repo on the network volume and be able to push/pull to/from there since commits don't pose the same kind of performance bottleneck.

Having, the Plastic databases in shared network doesn't seem a good idea. The local server performance is very dependent on the access speed to the databases and it may be very slow.

Anway, you can always use a custom path for your databases:

plasticscm.com/documentation/administration/plastic-scm-version-control-administrator-guide#ConfigurePlasticSCMwithJet

Regards,

Carlos.

Thanks. It looks as though the Server service won't start if the basepath points to a network resource.  I tried both mapped drive letter as well as UNC, but it seems the service is checking to see if it is a network resource and refusing to start if so.  I realize the performance will be much lower, but if I need to conserve harddisk space, I'd rather put the repo on the network volume than the entire project/workspace, since I work with the project moment-to-moment, whereas the repo only comes into play when doing diffs, commits, etc.

Do you know if there is any workaround for this apparent restriction against using a network volume?

I'm not abe to reproduce the issue. Are you using Windows? 

Anyway, if have some local storage issues and you are following a distributed workflow (with local repos), do you know that you can pull to your local repo just the desired branched?

I mean it's not necessary to have the full repo replica in your machine.

Regards,

Carlos.

If I change the path via .conf file, do I need to restart the service?  Because that's what I did, and when it attempts to restart, it immediately fails whenever the path points to a non-local drive.  Or should I do something more dramatic like reboot entirely?  I'm on Windows 10 64bit, v1903.

No, restarting the Plastic server service is enough to reload the configuration. What is your "jet.conf" content? Are you using a network path or a drive letter?

As I commented using a network path for the databases is not very recommented for performance reasons (a fast access to the disk is the key for the server performance).

Regards,

Carlos.