How? Promote newest offshoot branch as main? with or without Merge and how?

Given reference Branch View (attached): (Majorly Zoomed out - See Fullsize of the attachment - cant see much in thumbnail view). 

Vertical View - V
Horizontal View - H 

So I am using Plastic SCM Community to manage a few word documents and how they are changing and evolving over time. 

Most often as I branch out I end up rarely going back to the older version documents - maybe sometimes I go to pick out small snippets or sentences that I want to re-include if they had been removed or reorganized. 

What I'd like to do and know how I should do it correctly using Plastic SCM is: 

- Promote the CURRENT latest BRANCH to MAIN - without "ANY" structure or content from the OLD Main - Pretty much an OVERWRITE..

not a MERGE of any kind but a pure TAKE OVER/ OVERWRITE 

- Some rare times I would like to go back to some old versions and 'take small snippets or sentences that I want to re-include if they had been removed or reorganized.

For the above 2, what 'Plastic SCM' related 'actions + menus + options' can I use and if so, how? 

post-3835-0-14237000-1400605632_thumb.png

post-3835-0-09952700-1400605713_thumb.png

Hi,

- When you are performing a merge, if you click on "Merge options" button, you will see the available possibilities. See attached pic:

http://s941.photobucket.com/user/Carlos_Alba_Zamanillo/media/MergeOptions_zps9bfe6a0e.png.html

In your case, you may use:"Preserve changes in source contributor"

- If you want to merge old changesets, you can right-clink on the desired changeset --> Advances Merge --> Cherry pick , and only the selected changeset will be merged.

Regards,

Carlos

Hi,

- When you are performing a merge, if you click on "Merge options" button, you will see the available possibilities. See attached pic:

http://s941.photobucket.com/user/Carlos_Alba_Zamanillo/media/MergeOptions_zps9bfe6a0e.png.html

- If you want to merge old changesets, you can right-clink on the desired changeset --> Advances Merge --> Cherry pick , and only the selected changeset will be merged.

Regards,

Carlos

Interesting. Thank you. I am bit confused now. 

What do each of the 3 options mean? 

>> Merge your changes with Source Contributer's Changes (Who is Who.. here?)

>> Preserve Changes in Workspace (WS)

>> Preserve Changes in SourceContributor (SC)

I am the only person working on this so there is no other Contributor. 

I have NEW BRANCHES and WorkSpaces on them that have EVOLVED WAY AHEAD of ORIGINAL MAIN branch. 

MAIN branch is very very OLD and might as well be overwritten. 

So which is which?

NEW = WS or SC? 

MAIN = WS or SC?  

When you pefrform a merge there are always three contributors: base, source and destination. You can check here more information:  http://www.plasticscm.com/mergemachine/index.html

- The destination changeset is the changeset where you have your workspace.

- The source changeset is the changeset you are going to merge from.

- The base is the common ancestor.

Based on the agents involved in a merge, you have the next possibilities.

If you select "Merge your changes with Source Contributer's Changes", your workspace files will be merged with the source changeset contributor and you need to manually solve conflicts if necessary.

If you select  "Preserve Changes in Workspace" your workspace changes will be automatically preserved and the source changeset changes will be discarded.

If you select  "Preserve Changes in SourceContributor" your workspace changes will be automatically discarded and the source changeset changes will be preserved.

Regards,

Carlos

Thank you so much for the above explantions, links and pic. I think I have a much older version of Plastic Community Edition. 4.1.10.391 - Tanger

Would you recommend updating to the newer one so that its easier to map to the NEWER HELP ? 

Which version would you recommend updating to? 

Archived