Can't get new changes (Incoming Changes)

jdavo19

Hello,

We are having an issue right now to where someone working on our video game title can't see to check-in his changes.

He gets the message "Can't get new changes (Incoming Changes) because you need to checkin the current merge first. You can checkin your changes to a new branch or alternatively merge from the last changeset of the current branch"

Any help?

Thanks,

Jordan 

Hi Jordan,

Did the user run a merge that wasn't checked-in before trying to run the Incoming Changes?

If the answer is yes, he needs to run a new merge from the last changeset in the branch (or the branch itself) to retrieve the latest changes in the branch before checking-in his local changes.

The Incoming Changes is not able to run if there is a pending merge to checkin in the workspace.

You can check the pending merge links in the Pending Changes view: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/gui/plastic-scm-version-control-gui-guide#MergeinthePendingchangesView

If the answer is no, I guess he run an Incoming Changes operation that threw some error.

The problem is that the Incoming Changes operation failed in the middle (because internally it runs a merge in a first stage).

Could you send the client log files to support@codicesoftware.com. You can fin the log files (plastic.debug.log.txt) located in the plastic user folder

C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\logs\plastic.relevant.log.txt

To continue using the workspace, he can try two different options:

• manually backup the local workspace changes, undo all the workspace changes, reapply them manually in the workspace and retry the operation.
  • shelve (and undo) the workspace changes,  update your workspace to the last changeset in the branch, apply the shelve in the workspace and checkin your changes.

I hope it helps!

Rubén.

• 6 months later...

It's really hard to tell what happened. He was working on the main branch of the project. Then a couple of other developer merged some stuff into the main branch. Then he was trying to check in his pending files, and it listed two unresolved merge links. We finally had to shelve a ton of stuff and just hit it with a hammer enough times that we got to the other side. And then I found out later that he'd somehow managed to check in his changes to a different branch other than the main one. So... I just don't know. I don't know that the logs will be anything other than totally confusing. So far today I've spent about 3-4 hours trying to sort out version control stuff and zero actually developing my project.

• 1 month later...

Has this been resolved? I am experiencing the same issue and even though I have recreated my workspace from scratch, I get the same error. There are no half-baked merges to my knowledge.

NOTE: The Xlinks were messed up. Once I corrected those, all checked in as expected. Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm having a similar problem just trying to update with no merges. I have 3 locally modified files, two are checked out, no conflicts.
This prevents me from updating the rest of the data, so I can't test my changes against the latest.
It seems to want me to checkin first and then update, which seems entirely backwards to me and very frustrating.

I had a similar problem when I started using SCM a few days ago - spent all day modifying 20 files, tried to update, somehow ended up with 522 modifications and 3 mergelists which I eventually had to checkin en masse because I could not figure out how to reduce it back down to just my own changes. I just don't understand why the workflow is so different to the other 5 source control systems I've used.

• 3 weeks later...

Arriving a little late to this party, but me and my team have been having this issue since about mid-February, and were having to shelve pending changes, create a branch, then apply shelf and merge, which was obviously sub-optimal.

Today we have found that if we use the Merge To option rather than the Merge From option then it works.

Might be worth a try if you're hitting this same issue.