Display scaling causes blurry UI

Kartug

So my display setup is a primary 4k monitor, and a secondary 1080p monitor. The 4k monitor uses 150% scaling, while the 1080p one is at 100%. Plastic seems to have trouble deciding what scaling it should use, as Plastic SCM and Plastic Gluon behave completely opposite of each other.

On my 4k monitor, Plastic Gluon shows up blurry (possibly because of upscaling?). Plastic SCM is tack sharp.

On my 1080p monitor, Plastic SCM shows up blurry (possibly because of downsampling?). Plastic Gluon is tack sharp.

See attached images for examples. I know GUI redesigns are in the works, but please have this use-case in mind. It's really hard to look at a blurry UI without eyestrain.

Scaling_100.png

Scaling_150.png

Hi @Kartug, thank you very much for contacting us, and for your detailed feedback.

The behavior you're seeing is normal, but can be improved.

PlasticSCM is a DPI aware application, however Gluon is not.

That means, that when you open PlasticSCM in your 4K monitor, you can see it perfectly. Unfortunately, PlasticSCM does not support (yet) per-monitor DPI scaling, so when you move the window to the 1080 monitor, it gets blurry. If you want to see PlasticSCM fine in your 1080 monitor, you need to first move the window there, then close and reopen it.

However Gluon is not (yet) a DPI aware application. That means that is optimized to be displayed in a 100% DPI monitor. When you open it (or move) to a higher DPI monitor, it's blurry.

We'll try to improve high DPI support in the future, so thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,

Dani

Hi, thanks for the explanation.

you need to first move the window there, then close and reopen it.

Hmm, this doesn't work for me. It seems like Plastic SCM always uses the 150% scaling regardless of what monitor it started on. I'm running version 9.0.16.4101, so it should be pretty much up to date.

Thanks, I'll look forward to future releases with improved High DPI support.

Hmm, this doesn't work for me. It seems like Plastic SCM always uses the 150% scaling regardless of what monitor it started on. I'm running version 9.0.16.4101, so it should be pretty much up to date.

Sorry, I was wrong. You need to make your primary display your 1080p monitor, and then Plastic SCM will be not blurry. But I'm suppose you won't to do that 😉