Can't ignore DocFX temp files?

sgrassie

In a C# solution, I'm using DocFX to create the documentation for it, and DocFX generates a whole bunch of intermediate cache files in all the of the projects, as it parses the XML-doc comments.

It puts everything inside the <csproj dir>/obj/xdoc folder.

I'm really struggling with getting Plastic to ignore them, and this confuses me greatly because I have obj in my ignore.conf, and I thought that would be enough to get Plastic to ignore everything inside it?

obj
xdoc
src/PROJECT/obj
/src/PROJECT/obj
/src/PROJECT/obj/xdoc
/src/PROJECT/obj/xdoc/cache
/src/PROJECT/obj/xdoc/cache/obj

DocFX does create some oddly named cache files, some of them without file extensions. Is there something I'm missing from the ignore.conf or could there possibly be a bug with the way client handles the oddly named files produced by DocFX, which is tripping up the ignore functionality?

HI,

- If the files are not under source control (private files), the "ignore.conf" is the configuration file to include the rules so the files don't appear proposed in the "Pending changes" view to be commited. But the files will still appear as Private/Ignored in your "Workspace Explorer" view.

- If you right-click the "obj" folder --> "Add to Ignored list" and a new entry will be added to the "ignored.conf". All the items inside will be ignored.

- Are these files still appearing in your "Pending changes" view? Can you attach an screenshot?

- In "Pending Changes" view --> Options , Please review the the show ignored items option is unchecked.

Regards,

Carlos.

3 hours ago, calbzam said:

HI,

- If the files are not under source control (private files), the "ignore.conf" is the configuration file to include the rules so the files don't appear proposed in the "Pending changes" view to be commited. But the files will still appear as Private/Ignored in your "Workspace Explorer" view.

- If you right-click the "obj" folder --> "Add to Ignored list" and a new entry will be added to the "ignored.conf". All the items inside will be ignored.

- Are these files still appearing in your "Pending changes" view? Can you attach an screenshot?

- In "Pending Changes" view --> Options , Please review the the show ignored items option is unchecked.

Regards,

Carlos.

Carlos,

I understand that the private files will still show in the Workspace Explorer. I obviously don't want them checking in by mistake, so would like them not visible on the Pending Changes screen, which is what I'm trying to do.

The 'show ignored items' option is definitely unchecked.

I've attached a screenshot - I've had to blank out the project name. The entry underlined in red is one that I right clicked add added to the ignore.conf, and it does get removed from the list, however, the next two items which are inside that folder, still remain in the pending changes list, when I would expect them not to.

Additionally, it only added /src/PROJECT/obj/xdoc/cache/obj to the ignore.conf anyway, which is what I've already tried to add manually myself anyway.

In addition to that, the /src/project/obj folder is already ignored by default anyway, to ignore all the intermediate c# build artifacts, which is why I was surprised when the pending changes view started showing all these files.

Capture.PNG

Edited by sgrassie
clarification

Hi,

Please check my "ignore.conf" and how Plastic is ignoring the item inside the "obj" folder:

image.png

Aren't you seeing the same beahvior? Please check if you have any other "ignore.conf" overwritting your rules:

c:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\ignore.conf

c:\YourWorkspacePath\ignore.conf

Regards,

Carlos.

14 hours ago, calbzam said:

Hi,

Please check my "ignore.conf" and how Plastic is ignoring the item inside the "obj" folder:

image.png

Aren't you seeing the same beahvior? Please check if you have any other "ignore.conf" overwritting your rules:

c:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\ignore.conf

c:\YourWorkspacePath\ignore.conf

Regards,

Carlos.

No, I don't see that behaviour. From your screenshot it appears you've add those items inside the last obj folder as folders themselves, in fact they are files - at least the Plastic client thinks they are if you look at my screenshot.

I also don't have an ignore.conf in \AppData\Local\plastic4.

DocFX is an open source tool: https://dotnet.github.io/docfx/, it's fairly straightforward to initialise a docs website, I'm sure you could easily reproduce this.

I'm not sure why you aren't getting the same behavior as me. My only guess is you some other local configuration.

If you are paying customer, you can reach us at support@codicesoftware.com and we can get connected to review your setup.

Regards,

Carlos.