Shortcut for displaying changesets on active branch

Tobix

Hi,

it would be nice if I can see all changeset easily for my active branch.

Currently I have to many steps

•  Show Branch list
  •  Search my active branch (why can't I jump with some shortcut to "my" branch)
  • Right click - "View changesets on this branch"

It would be nice to have this option in the context menu of the branch.

Thanks

Tobias

image.png.811f7854a0aa98d53ad23b3dad17ae55.png

Wow! Never thought about this. And this menu is probably about to be gone (set selector should have been removed long ago).

That being said: why don't you look into the branch explorer? You immediately see your changes, right?

I'm trying to figure out why I never needed this before :)

Thanks again for a fast reply,

That being said: why don't you look into the branch explorer? You immediately see your changes, right?

Quite easy - I do not like it.

We have thousends of branches it takes (at least me) too many clicks to switch between filters to find the right branch.

Tobias

• 4 weeks later...

I think another option is to have a home button in the branch list with the same functionality as in branch explorer: Jump directly to the current branch. If selector is a changeset or label, jumping to according branch would be great if easy to implement that. Otherwise disable the home button with an according tool tip information. With this function Tobias is 3 klicks away of what he is looking for (instead of 2). :)

See this user voice request: https://plasticscm.uservoice.com/forums/15467-general/suggestions/12511725-add-home-button-to-branches-tab

Pablo, I like the branch explorer and I use it a lot. However, it's not the answer for everything. Sometimes I prefer the branch list, e.g. if I want to see all sub branches of a branch at a glance. Please note, we not only have a lot of branches (17k+ in less than 5 years) but also hundreds of branches being worked on at the same time. Hence the Branch Explorer stacks up very high. That's why I always use Custom BEs which requires me to perform several mouse clicks and moves until I have the information I'm looking for.

Ok, but you're asking us different things on the same thread, correct??

I mean, what @Tobix wants is a "view changesets of current branch" in the context menu on the status bar. I hear what you say, but unless we can cluster more requests I'm not sure we'll make it. Yes, I know what you want, but I honestly think the BrEx gives you that, because you should always see your current branch quite easily. I can understand this is not your favorite choice, but we need to keep a vision on the product, and BrEx is definitely our way to understand version control. I mean, once I'm on my branch on brex, just clicking on the csets gives me the diff and everything. Also, I don't know if you switch branch every 5 minutes, but since I don't think it is the case, you can always have an open list of csets for the current branch. So, opening a new one will not be probably something you do very often. Maybe we can have a query to show the csets of "current branch".

Regarding Jan's proposal: ok, a home button there, it could be. But it would be the same number of clicks like in the brex, correct? They both have the same menu.

Yes, my proposal was a complete different thing. It was meant as a different solution which solves two things: Being able to jump to current branch as well as quickly accessing branch's changesets without using BrEx. It's a substitution since you told us that you want to kill the selector menu.

I know that you don't want to crowd your UI with buttons because you follow each and every user request. Having that said, we have use cases for branch list (e.g. as I said, seeing the branch hierarchy easily) and a home button in that list is not driving the UI into a crowded situation. I don't understand why you would keep one portion of your UI in an inconvenient state while arguing that we should use it differently which sometimes is not the best option for us.