Repository users

Brett

How can I have multiple repositories each with separate users/permissions? The use-case is working with contractors where I want to enable them access to one repository as a developer but not all of them for my organization. I also want to pay the subscription cost for the contractor while they're working, then suspend when finished but have the option to resume later on should additional work be needed.

Hello Brett,

- Plastic allows to customize the permissions both at the server and at the repository level. You can create custom user groups in your server and assign different permissions for your internal users and external contractors.

You can edit the permissions and deny the access to a specific group (for some specific repos) whenever you want. In our security guide, we explain some real case scenarios. For instance in the following link we explain how to open up a repository to a specific group.

https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/security/plastic-scm-version-control-security-guide#Openuparepositorytoaspecificgroup

Every Plastic operation is linked to a specific permission so your security rules are very customizable. You can allow just readonly access to your repos, also allow to checkin to specific branches, to specific paths...

If we can assist you with your specific scenario or you have any question, please let us know.

- The cloud subscription owner is the user who manages the subscription and the payments. Every month, you will be charged based on the number of users that accessed to the cloud server this month. If a specific month, the contractors are not accessing to the Plastic server (because you denied the access or because they are not using it anymore), you won't be charged for these users.

Best regards,

Carlos.

Hi Brett,

The permissions configuration is handled directly in the Plastic GUI. It doesn't matter if you want to configure permissions for on-premises server or a cloud server. The permissions are not configured in the web panel.

If you drive to the repositories list in your Plastic GUI and you right-click a repo, you can select to configure the permissions for the full server, for a specific repository and also path permissions.

image.png

Once you open the permissions panel, you can select your users and groups and customize the different permissions for them.

image.png

Please let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Carlos.

Now I'm really stuck. I opened Plastic GUI and connected to my repo and then it said it couldn't until I went back to Gluon and checked in the files. So went back to Gluon and it "forgot" who I was and asked me to connect again. When I try to connect it says the workspace already has files in it. Canceling quits the program. Now I can't access my repo with either Gluon or Plastic. How can I fix this?

Hi Brett,

I was not aware that you were using Gluon. The Gluon workspace structure is very different from the Plastic GUI workspace and you cannot perform Plastic GUI operations from a Gluon workspace. If you plan to use both GUIs, please create independent local workspaces for that purpose.

Great to know that your current client is working again and you are able to list the repos. But now there is another problem, I'm afraid that the macOS GUI doesn't have the GUI panel to configure the permissions (it can be configured via Windows GUI). From a macOS client instalation, the only way to configure the permissions is via command line. If you run "cm acl --help", you can see some examples. I understand as it's not as comfortable as using the GUI.

Otherwise, we can arrange a meeting to assist you with the permissions configuration.

Sorry for the inconveniences,

Carlos.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll download the Windows client and run it in Bootcamp as that's probably less error prone than command line. It would be nice if the top level access permissions at least were configurable from the web dashboard given there are users/groups defined there already. As a GitHub user it's quite common to enable users at the repo level compared to finer grained control.