Clone repository on same server?

Malcolm Ellis

Hi,

Is it possible to clone/copy a repository into a new db on the same server? We have a large repository with multiple solutions/projects etc. that we'd like to split up but want the clone to retain the existing history. Once we have the clone we'd trim down the irrelevant projects on each copy. We're using SQL Server backend for now so I know I could copy the database data contents to a newly created empty repo db, but I suspect there are unique id values that would create issues? Is there a built in way to do this, or let me know which parts of the db not to copy over? 

Thanks,

Malcolm

Hi,

1) You can just copy the current database folder content to a different folder with a different id not existing in your server(eg:  "rep_57" --> "rep_58"). Then you can link the new database in your server with the "cm addrep --help" command. You will need to use a different repo name, but the repo history will be the same.

2) If you want just to clone just some specific branches, you can replicate the desired branches to a clean new repo in the same server via the sync view:

https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/gui/plastic-scm-version-control-gui-guide#Chapter23:TheSynchronizationview

PD: You can match the repo name and the database id with the following command.

cm lrep --format=TABLE

Regards,

Carlos.