Repo Clean up: Deleting old changesets, is it possible?

KYECreations

We have been using Plastic since 2018 and have a large project of 300Gb, our repo is currently using 700+Gb and costs a pretty penny each month due to the large space required.

Is there a way to clean up the repo removing changesets / revisions to reduce the size of the repo, making like a ground zero changeset.

Otherwise Perforce is looking appetising!

Hi,

I'm afraid there is no way to do it right now. 

We are working on a trimming tool to reduce the space that it takes, bt right now it is not possible.

Another option I can think of, if you don't need all the branches for example, you could replicate to a new repo only the main branch and the ones you are currently using and then delete the previous repo. This is not an optimal option, but it might help you save some space.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,

Héber.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently working with a team using Git. There is an interesting feature called squash that Plastic could use for inspiration.

You work on a branch, do your thing that can include changing 3GB of texture everyday and, once you're done and you merge on Main, you have the option to squash your branch into one changeset.

This way, you can always get back to it but only keep the result and not the whole history. In the end, your history would look like you use the "only relevant" display option. All the important steps are still available but not the everyday changes.

One thing though, I'd like to keep the commits meta data. even if we squash a branch, we can still need that history as proof of work in case of a legal disagreement.